Like Tree4Likes

Buying first DSLR: advice needed

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by temajie:
    Thank you for your advice on 4/3 cameras but I think I am ready to go into the DSLR world
    What do you think of the Canon D550 vs Nikon D5100?
    And do both brands have similar lenses in terms of quality? Actually how do I know whether a lense is good or not?
    Canon vs Nikon should be decided on which ergronmic approach you prefer, and you can only decide that by personally playing with them in your hands. Looking at specs is pretty secondary for what your stated usage is.

Lenses- you can generally rely on more expensive = better in the lens world. Or anything with a big fixed apeture (2.8 or lower) is likely to be good. And expensive. And heavy. There are an absolute crapload of very exhaustive lens reviews out there on the net too which will help you identify some of the less expensive gems if cost is a concern.

temajie

Both Canon and Nikon bodies and lenses are fine pieces of kit. Unless you are a professional photographer (as must be our own DavidTC), the difference between the bodies and the kit are negligible.

For DSLR photography, I use a Sony a330 (but not very often. Like VJ I prefer film photography). The output from that compares to any Nikon or Canon equivalent or better from my friends and fellow camera enthusiasts. People (especially here) get so hung up about the very latest models and make decisions based on what a professional would choose. They forget the simple art of taking good photos. My advice is find a good deal on a multiple lens package and go for that. Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Sony - they're all great.

vinyljunky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    My advice is find a good deal on a multiple lens package and go for that. Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Sony - they're all great.
    Do you know a place where I can find a good deal on a multiple lens package and that I can trust (I won't go to TST resellers)? Thanks.

Wing Shing in Mongkok and Digitalrev in TST are shops you can go to. But you can also try to bargain at the chain stores (Broadway, Fortress) if you know what you want, or at least ask for some free accessories like memory card, spare battery etc. if they are reluctant to give a discount.

Canon EOS 50D

Hi All,

I ventured in to the beginner DLSR about two years ago, and put some serious research in to purchasing my first and subsequent DSLR...

Camera No 1 was the EOS 450D, fantastic starter, 3.5 frames per second, and an ISO speed of 1600, which gives generally good results with the stock lens (18-55 mm)

I upgraded about a year ago to a second hand EOS 50D, which had significant improvements, especially at the shutter speed end (ca. 7 fps), high ISO (but caused graininess). This is by far the best camera I have used, or tried out over the past year, and produces razor sharp pictures at lower ISOs (up to 1600)

The best pictures I have taken so far with wither camera, is with a 50mm prime canon lens, it's the f1.8 aperture, and you can pick one up for about 100 euro, so shop around...

Another excellent website that you can cross compare features is Digital Cameras: Digital Photography Review, News, Reviews, Forums, FAQ, and select the compare cameras side by side feature...

you read the lens reviews.

one other factor to consider when choosing between the Canon and Nikon camp is, what do most of dslr friends use? The ability to borrow equipment is under-rated.

Original Post Deleted
    What (I think) TS is suggesting is the micro 4/3s format. Not the 4/3s format (which is something else entirely, and, in essence, SLR format)

Look at the new Olympus E-PL3 and E-PM1, soon to be on sale in Hong Kong.

The website with the best discussion (reviews, etc.) is probably Digital Cameras: Digital Photography Review, News, Reviews, Forums, FAQ

Jackie, any view on the differences between the E-PL3 and PM1?

I wonder how low the prices will go for the E-PL1 once these are released. I am not as fussed about the body as I am the magnitude of lenses that one can play with, with these bodies.