Like Tree4Likes

Buying first DSLR: advice needed

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Look at the new Olympus E-PL3 and E-PM1, soon to be on sale in Hong Kong.

The website with the best discussion (reviews, etc.) is probably Digital Cameras: Digital Photography Review, News, Reviews, Forums, FAQ

Jackie, any view on the differences between the E-PL3 and PM1?

I wonder how low the prices will go for the E-PL1 once these are released. I am not as fussed about the body as I am the magnitude of lenses that one can play with, with these bodies.

I agree with the other poster,if i were you,i would go to the mid range camera,you will outgrow entry level camera quickly,i'm a Canon 7D user,this camera is for sports/actions and since you love shooting your kids like me,7D has very quick autofocus,8 frames/sec burst mode,if price is not an issue,i highly recommend this if not then 60D is cheaper and equally same image quality as 7D,you can't go wrong with either...

TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat
    Jackie, any view on the differences between the E-PL3 and PM1?

I wonder how low the prices will go for the E-PL1 once these are released. I am not as fussed about the body as I am the magnitude of lenses that one can play with, with these bodies.
    I don't really know, but on dpreview.com they have all the information, and probably will have full reviews when the cameras will be out.

The lenses for these cameras are the same, as far as I know.

Thank you very much on your feedback. You were very convincing since I changed my mind and am more oriented now into a m4/3. I went to Fortress this morning and tried the Olympus Pen EP3 and the Canon 600D. Both were impressive but I have to say I fell in love with the m4/3 style I think I am going to buy the Olympus with the 14-42 lens as proposed in the kit, its price is $7400 at Fortress, would you know a place that would sell this model cheaper by any chance? Thanks again.

Thanks a lot for this website. I called several shops but it is already sold out in many of them. Some of them do still have it but do you know why their price is around 500 less than Fortress, is warranty missing or something? Is it what is called grey market?

That's because large chainstores like Fortress, Broadway and the likes are selling at MSRP. I heard that you can actually bargain with them, but I can't be bothered and rather go to a real camera store that sells for less. from that shoplist, I'd try DC career, Vivaphoto.

just a thought, why not go for the EPL2? Most EP3 users who own(ed) them both say EP3 isn't worth upgrading to. And as a first decent camera, I would suggest getting the EPL2, and save the 3k which you could use to buy accessories, bag and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by reprazent
    ...from that shoplist, I'd try DC career, Vivaphoto....
    Reprazent, is DC Career in 298 in any way related to DC Pro-Shop in WCC?

Thanks. I'd rather go for the EP3 despite the price difference with the EPL2 because it has faster AF and that is something I value when taking photos of my young and dynamic kids. Do you know if the one year warranty offered by stores like DC Career or Vivaphoto are the manufacturer's?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast