Like Tree4Likes

Buying first DSLR: advice needed

Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5
  1. #41

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,683
    Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs
    All I am saying is that the UV filter Fortress gives is worthless to me (invest in good mc filter, B+W, Heliopan or Hoya HMC etc. or none at all), the mini tripod I would just throw away because I would not trust my camera to sit on there, the memory card, especially for a fast DSLR better be a Sandisk Extreme III or the like, otherwise it is useless to me, and the camera bag - sorry have 5 or 6 at home already. So for someone like me (and I would think other experience shooters) those add ons that Fortress throws in are no value.
    I think you want to address this at me, not climber07. The memory card is a fast one and I didn't have a bag yet, so to me they had value.

    And since you are the one that gets a little excited and therefore doesn't read properly let me add that I stated the choice was between paying the list price plus accessories elsewhere or paying the list price including accessories at Broadway.

    A place that lets you return a defective camera without hassle - on the surface this seems like a good idea right? But ask yourself what is done with those cameras. Betcha they recycle it to the next newbie. With hot pixels on your body, if not too many it is simply re-mapped out and the camera can be sold again with no one the wiser. You don't think Broadway do that?
    Got any proof to back up your claim? Right, I didn't think so.

  2. #42

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    7,374

    I have to agree I'd rather buy it in fortress or Broadway since even if you don't quite get the cheapest price it's not far off and I've been to smaller shops who attempted to scam me in some way

    of course there are some very honest smaller shops and I'd happily go to these for smaller items but not for a $10000 piece of equipment, without doing a lot of research first.


  3. #43

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    153

    u can try sogo on the electronic level.


  4. #44

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    1,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Raccon
    I think you want to address this at me, not climber07. The memory card is a fast one and I didn't have a bag yet, so to me they had value.

    And since you are the one that gets a little excited and therefore doesn't read properly let me add that I stated the choice was between paying the list price plus accessories elsewhere or paying the list price including accessories at Broadway.


    Got any proof to back up your claim? Right, I didn't think so.
    Hey, that's cool with me, it's your dough. You're starting to sound like a shill anyways.

    My advice to any new DSLR camera buyer, if at all possible check your camera's shutter activations. There are software out there that will do that. Anything more than a few dozen would make me start to worry. If your camera has like 100, someone other than the mfg's QC has been playing with it. Not saying it's a bad camera (most cameras are expected to last 150,000 clicks of the shutter so what is a few 100, right?), but some people prefer their new tool be as pristine as possible. If you do this in the first 7 days, even local stores have a 7 day cooling off period, you will have peace of mind as well.

  5. #45

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,683
    Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs
    Hey, that's cool with me, it's your dough. You're starting to sound like a shill anyways.
    I am still waiting for your proof that they sell defective cameras to the next customer. Can you put your money where your mouth is, or is it, as I suspect, just coming out of your ass?

  6. #46

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    18,596
    Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs
    If you do this in the first 7 days, even local stores have a 7 day cooling off period, you will have peace of mind as well.
    Hmmm, not sure that is true.

  7. #47

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,378

    Pig man, are you a professional photographer?


  8. #48

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    1,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Raccon
    I am still waiting for your proof that they sell defective cameras to the next customer. Can you put your money where your mouth is, or is it, as I suspect, just coming out of your ass?
    Go ask climber he somehow got two defective Nikons from Broadway or Fortress (so he claims, I have no proof of this).

    Anyways, why do I have to prove anything or address anything to you directly? Do you own the monopoly of foolish spending? You say buy for your reasons I say buy for mine (or in my case not buy). Why so hung up on who is right? It's all about choices.
    Last edited by threelittlepigs; 05-09-2011 at 09:09 AM.

  9. #49

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    1,760
    Quote Originally Posted by luckycat
    Pig man, are you a professional photographer?
    I have gotten paid to shoot but it is not my sole source of income. I've been shooting some concerts and theatre recently but that's all.

  10. #50

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,655
    Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs
    Hey, that's cool with me, it's your dough. You're starting to sound like a shill anyways.
    Welcome to the forums. Like arguing on the internet much, or are you like this in real life too?

    If you're going to wildly accuse high street stores of recycling returned goods, you should offer some kind of evidence rather than hysterically accusing raccoon of being a 'shill' just because he pulls you up on it.
    Last edited by jgl; 05-09-2011 at 09:18 AM.

Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5