sat nav / gps

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

thanks for the answers and the geography/political lessons, Anyways, back to the plot....

is map king a windows based system, ie will it also work with nokia phones as well as with pocket pc?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook
    I found it rather humourous that HKNewbie, who, I just noticed lives in Lantau, didnt know what country he is living in.ha ha
    I found it rather humourous you rose so obviously for the bait, although your indepth expose on 'One Country, Two System's' taught me many things I hadn't picked up living here for 30 years.

PS If you enjoy a bit of pedantry, as it would appear you do, HK was technically a territory, not a colony.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymeander
    thanks for the answers and the geography/political lessons, Anyways, back to the plot....

is map king a windows based system, ie will it also work with nokia phones as well as with pocket pc?
    I haven't seen a Nokia version of Map King, only versions running on Windows Mobile.

I'm looking for a satnav to take with me on my travels. I travel to Melbourne, Australia; West Coast of USA and the UK and would like one unit which can load each of these sets of maps. Anyone know if this is possible? Which would work best? Any recommendations would be welcome.

Cheers

If you have a pocket PC or better still a mobile phone/pda with buit-in GPS receiver.
    I use tomtom and it work excellent in HK, USA and UK, just download the map before you go.

OK OK lets forget the politics is there any point in buying a sat nav for the new driver in HK? state/country/whatever makes everybody happy thanks?

Quote Originally Posted by Raymeander
    im new to driving in hong kong and i would like to get a sat nav system. Does anyone have this and does it work well? i hear from people that the coverage is patchy.

Also which system is good, a pocket pc one or a dedicated unit ?
    I brought a TomTom with HK Maps from UK, works OK but really for the final destination idea, on HK Island I have learnt the route quicker by reading the signs as the satellites dont catch up quick enough and can make driving more dangerous by late lane changing. The directions are lagging probably due to all the tall buildings knocking the signal? Once you get out towards the airport or new territories it works well..

Worth having one but you still need a map :-)

plenty of GPS systems to buy in Ap Liu Street, $$ range from 400 - 2000. all very fast and good. map will be in Chinese but you can download the english version from Map King. they will provide you the website as well if not you can google it.

I have seen Google Maps used on a browser enabled phone with built in GPS. Seems to do an ok job.

what about garmins? anyone know anything about their performance in HK? are they any good` thinking of getting a nuvi from the UK for my dad's 50th... have read all the posts here and it seems like smart phones are the most effective way for wayfinding in HK...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2