Region hack for Aircraft DVD

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Region hack for Aircraft DVD

I would like to know if anybody out there knows how to unlock a BAKER inflight entertainment system DVD player from its factory issued REGION 1 ( US ). The system is installed in a 2001 Gulfstream GIV-SP, as part of its interior fit out, now that the aircraft is operating in Asia, its becoming a bit silly that passengers cannot watch any DVD movies purchased locally.

If anybody knows of a firmware upgrade or a simple remote control series of key commands that can unlock this aviation grade DVD player, I would be happy to hear from you.

PS: its a very lengthy excercise to even contemplate replacing this player with another, as they wont be aviation certified or able to fit in the console rack physically. We need to unlock what is already there.

Sorry to ask the obvious question, but have you contacted Honeywell (who took over Baker) to ask if there is a mod for this?

Hmmm, indeed, we have PDLM, an obvious question recieves, an obvious answer.

Baker themselves do not have an answer, unless a new player that is dedicated for our region coding, which again, is of little help as this aircraft flys globally, and its becoming a bit of a sad joke, that passengers cannot use inflight entertainment, because of this stupid region coding BS.

I understand that Pioneer is the actual donor player internally, with a bit of luck somebody out there may have worked out how to disable the region lock.

If not, another brand of FAA certified " multi region " DVD player will have to be used, which will have to be reconfigured to communicate with the cabin automation system.. Another tin of worms, not to mention having a totally new piece of matching facia timber made. lol.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 01-07-2007 at 01:09 AM.

Wow! That looks like something from the 70s. Why not just put a normal region-free DVD player in and hook it up? It's a private jet and you're not touching the avionics so who gives a damn?

If the customer can afford the jet I am sure a dvd retrofit can come out of his lunch money.

skyhook how you are willing to pay to solve the problem?

Was that a cryptic question ?

If the existing player can be successfully modified, the FBO will just pay via any number of methods, corporate AMEX, company cheque or even cash, providing a supporting invoice is issued.

No different to other regular expenses, refueling, catering, maintenance expenses etc.

Now there is an if scenario, providing that what ever mod carried out, does not involve electrical modification of the player, as that would void the players FAA certification, and would create major insurance issues if in the unlikely event that the player caused a fire, the last person to tamper would be held responsible.

Why not just stock up with a collection of Region 1 DVDs? Or do you need Chinese / Asian DVDs? (Again, should be available in Region 1...). Might be emotionally cheaper, since the region coding might involve rechiping.

www.shopinhk.com has a pretty complete collection.

Do you have a corresponding Pioneer DVD model? I'd assume that the circuitry should also be pioneer and its just the housing thats been rebranded.

Last edited by KnowItAll; 01-07-2007 at 08:50 PM.

Thank you for your helpful advice knowitall, you're a sport.

To date region 1 and zero coded DVD movies have been used when long haul flights have been requested, but the owner of the aircraft wants to watch company internal/external promo DVD's, which are rarely region 1, typically from Korea/Japan/Mainland China and Taiwan.

I have been gradually working my way through the Pioneer route, I feel we may have a lot more success dealing with Pioneer Electronics, or in the end we just give up the long lasting saga and just replace the player with a totally new one, which is most disruptive as it needs to be organised when the aircraft is in for maintenance.

Might want to consider a portable DVD player then. I assume that it would be considered personal electronics and would not invalidate insurance?

Back to your real problem.

Seems like Baker OEM's the Pioneer DVD-V7200 and replaces the face plate. (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn..._78800,00.html)

If you have the ability to get someone to do this and your player as a remote or you can get to the DVD's menus.

http://plasma.pioneerelectronics.com...0_firmware.pdf

Verify the DVD Firmware code first...

I believe all Pioneer region codes can be reset using the remote / menus.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast