Like Tree3Likes

Wanchai Computer Centre: Olympus E-PL1

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by vinyljunky:
    I will wager a box of your favourite 120 film that either of the following scenarios will play out:
    1. The VF will not be an original Olympus
    2. The VF will continue to remain out of stock indefinitely
    Ha, yes, I couldn't agree more. I am sure that will happen. I will let you know next week.

P.S. I had a look at some of the photo forums. From my research, m42 mounts are too far away from the sensor/film for an exakta lens (which needs to be 1mm closer than the m42). I suppose that even if i found such an adapter, it would still focus, but the range would be smaller (and unable to focus to infinity) - right?

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    Quote Originally Posted by vinyljunky:
    I will wager a box of your favourite 120 film that either of the following scenarios will play out:
    1. The VF will not be an original Olympus
    2. The VF will continue to remain out of stock indefinitely
    Ha, yes, I couldn't agree more. I am sure that will happen. I will let you know next week.

[SNIP]
    Which camera shop in WCC is this? The one on the upper floor close to the escalators or the one on the lower/middle floor away from the escalators? If it is the former you might have a chance. However, if it is the latter run as fast as you can and never return - they are a real set of con artists.

PS: I know you mentioned the name, but I only remember the locations of the two stores.
    Last edited by beachball; 24-08-2011 at 08:35 AM.
    luckycat likes this.

It is the latter. On the first floor as you walk in, away from the escalators. Somewhere in the middle.

Thanks for the heads up Beachball.

They really were quite insistent that I buy the camera first and get the viewfinder later. Luckily I'm not one to be pushed about too much but I can see them being able to intimidate some people into making purchases.

I will still follow up next week so that I can give a definitive report.

P.S. I had a look at some of the photo forums. From my research, m42 mounts are too far away from the sensor/film for an exakta lens (which needs to be 1mm closer than the m42). I suppose that even if i found such an adapter, it would still focus, but the range would be smaller (and unable to focus to infinity) - right?
    I think you're right. Can't find the thread I was referring to, but I think I remember that it wasn't an adaptor, but a modified lens mount all together. You might not want to risk that, considering you've probably paid a pretty penny for the lens.

You might want to check with Camera Accessories,Digiscoping,scopes,binoculars if they could build you a custom adaptor (with optics) that would solve that problem. Might work out cheaper in the long run.

Don't forget my box of film!

It is the latter. On the first floor as you walk in, away from the escalators. Somewhere in the middle.

Thanks for the heads up Beachball.

They really were quite insistent that I buy the camera first and get the viewfinder later. Luckily I'm not one to be pushed about too much but I can see them being able to intimidate some people into making purchases.

Ok, in that case I recommend forgetting about it. As mentioned in another thread, I will never visit/buy from that shop again.

A couple of anecdotes:
    • On one occasion when I purchase a replacement battery for an Olympus P&S (not my own camera, so did only know the camera model and not the battery type) they assured me that the battery they gave me should be the correct one - if not I would be able to exchange and all of the similar type batteries had the same price. Of course, turns out the battery was the wrong model and when I went to exchange it the correct one suddenly cost more and I had to pay extra...
    • Another time I inquired about the price for a particular item (lens or filter) and was quoted way over market, so I told them that I was not interested. When I left the store the head guy berated me. And when I stopped outside the store he came out and yelled at me not to block his show window. At that point I just laughed at him...

The store on the upper floor is respectable AFAIK.

I am sad this has all turned into a bit of a wild goose chase.
    I LOVE the EP /EPL and used the 1 when we first started doing serious video for our business English role play / presentation learning lessons. The 1 took a bit of setting up but the condenser microphone is awesome You can set the camera back 30ft and still get strong clear sound and a piece of cake to edit background post production without spoiling the vocal content. Big Fan!

Recently used the later model and it had a dedicated HD record button so made it incredibly easy to shoot. Yes all the sexy stuff is in software but is just SO easy to set up before you shoot. Would have loved to get a 1 at real cheap price as I am freelance now and it would be a must have.

Again, if you can get it from the US to HK somehow . . . Olympus PEN E-PL1 Micro 4/3 Digital Camera & 14-42mm Lens. $230 US About $1,785HK. Factory demo/refurbished. Free shipping in US. Authorized dealer. One year warranty. That's pretty damn cheap.

Huja, HK links please! Damn you!

Huja, HK links please! Damn you!
    This is what you do . . . you fly to the 'States, buy some fancy handbags, a few ipad 2's (or iPad 3s, should they be available). Then you buy the stuff you want (Olympus PEN, I HEART NY t-shirts, 1 liter-size tubs of peanut butter, etc.). Sell the handbags and ipads at a profit when you return and your trip and Olympus PEN + other swag is paid off.