Like Tree3Likes

Infrared Extender - where to buy in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Infrared Extender - where to buy in HK

Has anyone seen an infrared extender for sale in HK? It converts your infrared from your remote control to radio waves and broadcasts them to another unit which converts back to IR.

Allows you to control your IR equipment (ie TV, NowTV box etc) if they are hidden away in a unit or from another room in the house.

I've been to a few places, SSP, WCC etc but not been able to locate this.

Here is one I found on Amazon, however when I try to order it, Amazon says they can't ship electronics to Hong Kong.

Thanks!

Strange, I've seen this stuff in WCC. Actually bought one once.

Was pretty poor quality.

Use Logitech universal remote and their extenders... those work well and can be bough in Wanchai Computer Center.

Radio frequency extenders are not allowed in HK I believe (ie those that convert IR to RF and then back again to IR to control the equipment). There are other units that rely on wired connections. I have installed a Xantech Dinky Link system in my flat. It works really well as all my stereo, NOW box and computer are in one room and connected to the TV in another room. For example I can change NOW channels, play Bluray, CD and control my amp all of which is connected to the TV even though I do not have line of sight to those boxes from my sofa when I am watching TV. If that is what you are looking for, I can recommend where to buy such a device.

tv senders can do similar do, they are legal in hk, but dedicated extenders have better range, a decent one should be able to manage really thick wall and 20 meters

Yes, that is exactly the scenario. My NowTV box and Amp etc are in one room, I have installed a second TV in another room and want to be able to use the remotes in the second room.

The PS3 controllers work fine, just not the NowTV remote and Amp remote.

I may create a seperate post but is there any way to somehow wire up the NowTV box to both locations? Currently I have run an HDMI and RCA cable from one location to the other. Works fine, although I have to manually unplug and plug in the cables depending on which room is being used.

I don't need to be able to stream Now to both locations at once but would rather not have to keep unplugging and plugging in the cables. Main reasons being a) The cables are embedded in the wall and the ends might get damaged if / when being plugged / unplugged and b) the back of the amp is a mess of cables and wouldn't expect anyone else in the household to be able to rewire without making a mistake.

I bought an HDMI splitter (ie one input, 2 outputs) but the NowTV box detects this and stops outputting.

it will not be in HD, if you use a sender, unless you are willing to spend HK$2000+ on a hd sender,

in regards to hdmi, either the cheap way which will be a hdmi selector/switch box or the pro way, get a decent av amplifier ( even basic ones at HK$2500 have 4 hdmi, high end ones at HK$10000 + will have up to 12 hdmi inputs)

try intergral safety ap liu st ssp, they have reasonable price SD senders from HK$400 ( please note if your walls are really thick and the distance is more than 10 meters, you may not get a clear picture)

HKNewBi likes this.

Have a look at a WHDI stick. Its wireless transmission of FullHD (1080p). It also has the remote control on the receiver side.

WHDI™- Wireless High Definitio

HKNewBi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HKNewBi:
    Yes, that is exactly the scenario. My NowTV box and Amp etc are in one room, I have installed a second TV in another room and want to be able to use the remotes in the second room.

The PS3 controllers work fine, just not the NowTV remote and Amp remote.
    Then the Xantech can do the trick. But I had planned for this scenario when renovating, so the Xantech is routed through the wall. The receiver can be hidden beneath the TV without the wire seen. If you don't have a built-in passthrough, you will need to wrap the wire around the walls. Not as good a solution as the IF-RF-IF devices but it will work. The Xantech was purchased at the electronics store in iSquare 5th floor. It comes with 3 or 4 transmitters that attached to the IR sensor in your amp/NOW/etc, the receiver to be installed beneath your tv (or anywhere where there is line of site from your easy chair) and the wall wart power.
    HKNewBi likes this.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that. Do you happen to know how much the Xantech costs.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast