.cn addresses and hosting

.cn addresses and hosting

Is it possible to host .cn addresses (especially mail) here in hk as opposed to China?

Apart from the registration restrictions Hong Kong hosting company websites seem to imply you can:

http://www.hosting.com.hk/

JayKay, yep.. can host anywhere. You can get .com.cn and .cn addys from godaddy.com and host them anywhere in the world.

If you're hosted in China, your hosting company will take care of the ICP license.

Yeah I've checked and contacted a few companies. So far 2 say no, 1 says yes! That's professionalism in HK for you! Hosting I believe is possible, email probably not, well not without being routed through China anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll
    JayKay, yep.. can host anywhere. You can get .com.cn and .cn addys from godaddy.com and host them anywhere in the world.

If you're hosted in China, your hosting company will take care of the ICP license.
    KIA, it's actually email I'm most interested in. Want to bypass China censors as we lose so much mail. If I can host mail in HK without it getting routed through China I can then send to China via leased line.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay
    KIA, it's actually email I'm most interested in. Want to bypass China censors as we lose so much mail. If I can host mail in HK without it getting routed through China I can then send to China via leased line.
    Ok this just sounds retarded, just get a .com domain instead.

jaykay we host a few .cn domains and there are no issues. We don't register them though, the customers do. But as Mr Moo says, getting a .cn is not going to make a difference to your email.

How about you get on our servers for a week (try it free) I doubt you will have an issue. We have the most demanding and customers you could want in HK, China and elsewhere and we not had a support China related support call for a few weeks now.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo
    Ok this just sounds retarded, just get a .com domain instead.
    The .com.cn domain was in place well before I became involved in it! They can't just change to a .com as the domain name they use is already registered and used as .com.

hk.com, I may have a more in depth chat with you soon. IPLC lines are already used so this transfer of mail is not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay
    The .com.cn domain was in place well before I became involved in it! They can't just change to a .com as the domain name they use is already registered and used as .com.
    I think you will find they can change, its not that difficult, just inconvenient, and you end up with xinhuachina.com or similar. Its certainly not an option to discard so quickly.