Like Tree4Likes

LINE app (alternative to Whatsapp) and Privacy Issues Rumour

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

LINE app (alternative to Whatsapp) and Privacy Issues Rumour

Hi Smartphone users,

As some of you will no doubt have noticed, there's been hype all over social media in Hong Kong since Thursday/Friday about the iPhone/Android app called LINE by Naver. Naver is a Japanese company which did several other apps. Well LINE is basically like Whatsapp but with the ability to add contacts via a username so that one can chat with strangers without having to give out one's own telephone number.

You know how it is in HK, where a few people recommend something and suddenly you get a stampede of lemmings running to that run-down tea house or dai pai dong at some out of the way location in the New Territories and queue 1hr in order to share a table with 6 other sweaty men and pay $50 for that "must have noodle that tastes out of this world and better than at any 5-star hotel".

Well, anyway, back to LINE. After the initial hype however, a rumour has surfaced today that the app has some privacy issues, such as allowing others to work out another user's location as well gaining some other kind of unspecified personal information. Sounds like a fake rumour.

Can anyone corroborate with this rumour and give some more details on this issue? Thanks.

Last edited by ICEBreaker; 16-10-2011 at 11:54 PM.
    dear giant and HKITperson like this.

I recommend people get a life and stop inventing pointless problems.

...Apple has been doing this the whole time and now you are worried? It is okay because they are #1 technology company for making their money ethically.

BBC News - Apple 'not tracking' iPhone users

*tin foil hat on*

If Apple, Google, Facebook work together with the CIA the world will be a safer place.

Quote Originally Posted by aliendavid1:
    ...Apple has been doing this the whole time and now you are worried? It is okay because they are #1 technology company for making their money ethically.

BBC News - Apple 'not tracking' iPhone users
    Bo-hoo, that issue has been fixed with a new SW release some time ago. In any way they can only access the file that stores the Wifi spots and cell sites when they get physical access to the phone, so it's quite different to an app provider that can remotely access your phone or where the app sends the information automatically to them.

LINE isn't the only app btw that has "privacy issues": Your Apps Are Watching You (WSJ

BTW: Your cell service provider always knows where the phone is, so better dump them in the next river and use smoke signals, if you are the paranoid type.
    Last edited by Raccon; 17-10-2011 at 02:34 AM.

@AlienDavid1, @Raccon: Er, thanks for the reply but you missed my point. It's not a matter of the app authour collecting data - that's a given. I am referring to other USERS being able to find your location and telephone number etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ICEBreaker:
    @AlienDavid1, @Raccon: Er, thanks for the reply but you missed my point. It's not a matter of the app authour collecting data - that's a given. I am referring to other USERS being able to find your location and telephone number etc.
    I didn't miss the point; although I didn't mention it (since I was responding to David) it is actually clearly stated what this app can do and that there is a risk of abuse:

Permissions

This application has access to the following:

[...]

Your location
    COARSE (NETWORK-BASED) LOCATION
    Access coarse location sources such as the cellular network database to determine an approximate device location, where available. Malicious applications can use this to determine approximately where you are.
    FINE (GPS) LOCATION
    Access fine location sources such as the Global Positioning System on the device, where available. Malicious applications can use this to determine where you are, and may consume additional battery power.

[...]

Your personal information
    READ CONTACT DATA
    Allows an application to read all of the contact (address) data stored on your device. Malicious applications can use this to send your data to other people.
    WRITE CONTACT DATA
    Allows an application to modify the contact (address) data stored on your device. Malicious applications can use this to erase or modify your contact data.
    See more at the link above (don't forget to click 'Show all').

Yes it says "This application has access to... Malicious applications will have access to..." not "other USERS (like you and I) will have access to..." Are you sure you understand what I am saying? Have you actually heard what the rumour is about, because I haven't got the specifics and want to know more.

Last edited by ICEBreaker; 17-10-2011 at 07:20 AM.

Ah, don't worry about it, apple, google, microsoft, the prc government already have your details anyway.

ICEBreaker, you would do better by at least posting links/source of such rumors. As it stands, you seem like the one spreading rumors.

If you are asking out of sincere curiosity, you could/should have written your OP differently.

As it stands, I googled "line app privacy" and sure enough, top hit is this thread which makes me question where you heard these rumors in the first place.

Wayland: if I had links I wouldn't need to ask on this forum then. DUH! As for spreading rumours, anyone reading this would see that nothing has been substantiated.

Do you even have this app installed? It seems you aren't even in the right circle to know about this. No offense, but if that's the case this thread isn't for you.

Football16 and JaredHK like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast