New PC in Chinese! Can I borrow an XP disc?

Closed Thread

New PC in Chinese! Can I borrow an XP disc?

Hi everyone

My husband bought a new computer this week, and Windows XP is in Chinese. The recovery partition is also Chinese. He has the license for XP. We wonder if anyone has an English install disc that they would be prepared to lend, briefly.

He's called HP, and tried a few things, to no avail.

We are at Stanley, and will be glad to pick it up from anywhere in Hong Kong. We are also willing to leave one of our children as a deposit

Please pm if able to help.
    Thanks

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

persist with HP
    as you will need to jump through a lot of hoops everytime you need to reintstall Windows

We decided to bite the bullet and go and buy xp in English, so we don't face the problem again when we need to restart some time in the future. As you said, we didn't want to revisit the problem later.

Thanks!

Where did you buy it from, most if not all the vendors in HK ask whether you want English, Simplified or Traditional Chinese?

Unless it is genuine and simply not licensed.

Last edited by MrMoo; 01-08-2007 at 05:35 PM.

I have seen some of the HP 'deals' before and they really do offer Chinese Windows XP and nothing else. Maybe it's left over stock that no one else wants.

Update

After to-ing and fro-ing with HP, it turns out that the XP that is on the hard drive doesn't have an English option, but it won't let you start it up with a different XP - you have to use the one on the hard drive.

The good news is, David's Chinese is really improving....

The better news is that after talking to the shop today, he discovered that the code on the invoice means that it was supposed to be an English version, so we can hopefully take it back and swap the whole machine.

Thanks for the advice - it all helps.

I had the same issue with my old PoS HP.
    But i just went back to the shop, and they gave me the cd with the English version on it right away. no hassle no problem at all.
    Still got it if you want it, since i sold my HP recently.

It just keeps going...

Thanks for the offer, but they said they would swap it for an English one, which they did. The new one turned up this afternoon. It's Chinese too!!

He rang them AGAIN this afternoon,and they apologized and set they would set it straight.

He's now looking forward to the arrival of a third computer