NOW TV revisited - tech questions

NOW TV revisited - tech questions

Hello, all you TV watchers.

We've been on i-Cable for the last many years, with two convertors for two rooms.

We've been using Netvigator for broadband.

We'll be moving to a new flat in Oct which has the option of either NOW or i-Cable for the TV signals.

I'm trying to plan out the installations, but I've been very frustrated by the sales people's lack of knowledge of the systems (when I have been able to speak with someone), at NOW.

Do I understand correctly that NOW requires a DSL modem as well as a TV demodulator on one phone line for TV #1? Will the second TV require a cat5 cable from the DSL modem to the second demodulator? Or is there even enough bandwidth for two? Perhaps I'll need two DSL modems on two phone lines?

Anyone who knows the technical aspects of this system care to discuss?

Thanks in advance.

Ron in Tai Tam - moving to Pokfulam

The fundamental difference between NOW and Cable is that NOW is a streaming service and Cable is broadcast. So if you want to watch two different channels simultaneously on Cable you simply need two decoders, but on NOW you need two streams, which means two phone lines, two DSL modems and two set top boxes.

But I'm surprised you see it as a choice - NOW has a much wider selection of English language channels than Cable.

Last edited by PDLM; 04-08-2007 at 04:58 PM.

...and if you get 2 NOW installations you get absolutely no discount. You pay twice over for both boxes.

Thanks PDLM for the confirmation of the setup.

As for choices - when all one watches is a couple of news channels, it really is a choice....

We just don't spend much time watching television.

Two sets of NOW is still cheaper than what we're paying for two STBs from i-Cable. $400+ vs $635.

Best - Ron

also consider that calling CABLE tv service hotline is a major major frustration. you're oh so lucky to get through to speak to someone.... anyone.