HP computer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HP computer

We bought an HP pavillion computer about a year ago, which was almost the most expansive PC on the market. In the past year, this computer was recovered/formated three times following the instruction of HP customer care representative on the supporting hotline. The most upset thing was that after recovery, it turned out that the problem can be solved extracting a small file from Window, and the representatives knew there were incompatibility of their lan card and PCCW setting before they give us the instruction to recover. My boyfriend is on his last MBA research paper, which required lots of work and time. Each time we recovery, we lost some portion of work. I complained, complained and complained to HP customer care department, but not even get a sincere appology.

Now one month after one year purchase, this HP pavillion just totally break down, and can't even start Window!!! HP declared that they have to charge us just to come out and look at it.

It is so frustrating that HP as an international brand has such unreliable quality. it is more frustrating that HP customer care centre cares NOTHING NOTHING about their consumers, or at least they had NO idea on the product they sell relates so much to the time and effort of the user.

I'm totally frustrated, can anyone tell me what to do? i'm imaging myself take the PC to HP, and hammer it in front of their door.....

get a mac...

the only solution is....

get a mac....

Angry Think Pad is good

Thank you for your response, but i myself is using a thinkpad X60 notebook, it has no problem at all for two years! It's not about PC or Mac, it's about HP

FFS, buy a freakin' external hard drive for $1000 and back up all your important documents once in a a while.

I can understand your frustration, it really sucks to lose important data to hardware failures. But you've got to take some responsibility yourself... if your data is that important, you have to learn how to treat it as important- don't expect a computer company to look after this for you.

Go down to Wan Chai Computer Centre. Buy an external hard drive. Once a month, or once a week just copy all your documents to it, or use the automated software to do so. If your boyfriend is putting that much work into his research, he should be backing up his data every single day. If you don't know how to do this, spend the 1 hour required to *learn* how to do it. Knowing that your data is safe has got to be worth at least 1 hour of your life.

That way, when your HP craps out again it is not such a headache. You can get it fixed, or you can move to another computer without all the drama.

Edit: Other options- use another paid techie. Or get a technically competent friend to do your troubleshooting and explain what's going on and in exchange buy him a bloody good meal.

Last edited by jgl; 31-08-2008 at 07:22 PM.

HP customer service is crap! I suggest you get an external hard drive to store and your data so you won't lose it next time the pc crashes.

Agreed with JGL always back up your data.

And just because you buy top of the range doesn't necessarily mean it will be the best, If you want reliability then go for a brand such as Fujitsu who have won numerous awards for being one of the best manufacturers out there.

I avoid companies such as Dell, HP, Compaq etc as they're just not that reliable in my opinion having desktop supported these brands for the past 8 years.

What was the reason for the first 3 recovery/formats?
    And incompatibility with a LAN card and PCCW seems highly unlikely as a reason to format or run a recovery on a system.

If you had that many problems with it, why didn't you just let him use your Notebook then?
    I totally agree with "jgl" on this one, you can't just blame on HP it's you own responsibility to protect your data.

I too knows what it feels like to loose important info, but the story just don't feel "complete", like you left out some part.
    Like it was posted here just to rant on HP while neglecting that you yourself did something such as:

Left it running 24/7 for 6month in a row downloading BT files and in doing so ruined the HD.

Ignored S.M.A.R.T alerts that the HDD was about to go bust.

Accidentally tripped over and pulled out the power plug out while writing data to the hard drive or something.

It's very often a case of "pebkac" and it to me sounds like it in this case.

Read well

hi johanSWE,

you didn't read my message well before you start to accuse me.

You asked "what was the reason for the first 3 recovery/format".

I said in my message "this computer was recovered/formatted three times following the instruction of HP customer care representative on the supporting hotline".

DON'T LISTEN WELL is a common communication mistake people make, hope you get aware of it from now. Then you will find how much energy you waste on vicious accusation. It indeed pollutes one's mind and other's mood.

Flute

Now that was uncalled for and no need to be so defensive.

The unanswered question of why on earth didn't you backup any data before reformatting etc still remains though.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    Agreed with JGL always back up your data.

And just because you buy top of the range doesn't necessarily mean it will be the best, If you want reliability then go for a brand such as Fujitsu who have won numerous awards for being one of the best manufacturers out there.

I avoid companies such as Dell, HP, Compaq etc as they're just not that reliable in my opinion having desktop supported these brands for the past 8 years.
    Jimbo, thanks!

We did back up data, only that we did once a week, and the work back then was intensive, losing 2 days of work was enough to upset us.

And thank you for recommend Fujitsu, any particular modle you like the best?

Regards,
    Flute

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast