Will US PS3, DVD & TVs Work In HK

Closed Thread

Will US PS3, DVD & TVs Work In HK

My first post! I'm expecting to accept a 3-5 year expat deal where I would move from US to Hong Kong.

I think I've read that my televisions will not work due to the NTSC-to-PAL format difference. So I guess I won't take my existing TVs.

But what about my PS3 and region 1 DVD players? If I buy PAL TVs in HK, will those accept input from my US-bought PS3 and DVD sources?

I am just not educated enough to know if the PS3 and DVD players only output in NTSC.

A related question: when talking about 720p/1080i/1080p HD sources, is NTSC a relevant standard, or are such HD sources globally accepted?

Thanks!
    Don

The TVs sold in HK are multi-system, so yes, the will accept NTSC (US) inputs.

Your problem will be getting the appropriate power converters for the PS3.

Personally, I'd dump the DVD Player.

When you buy a TV here, chances are they would have a special where you would get a DVD and surround sound system.

If your TV is modern, it will be multi format, You just need to find a power converter. i am in the same boat with ps3, I hear the ps3 games don't have region coding and HK/US happen to be in the same region for BluRay which is a bonus, obviously no so for the DVD region however. does anyonw know if there is a chip mod or something to allow region free dvd playback on ps3?

Quote Originally Posted by raidian:
    If your TV is modern, it will be multi format...
    My TVs are modern, but even my newest one, a Sony 40" LCD purchased in November at Circuit City, says "NTSC" on the specifications page in the manual.

Are you saying it will still accept PAL?

Don

sorry that wasn't entirely correct, it seems that in the US, TV's are largely only NTSC while outside the US almost all modern sets are multiformat.. i bought an industrial model panasonic plasma in the US and it's multi.. can anyone verify?

i have a follow up question..will a component stereo system from USA work in HK with the appropriate power converter despite the difference in frequency of the power grid?

raidian : whats the model number? the industrial models are usually better value and standardized across the globe (for large corporate clients) and I'd not be surprised if they support multi-system inputs. But then ... its been bought in the US .. so who knows.

I recently received a PM asking me how this turned out for me, so I thought it might be of value to someone else.

I brought two Sony LCDs (a 40" and a 52") from the US and the PS3 as well.

First, the power voltage. Both Sony LCDs operate on 220V without an issue. I knew in advance that they would because the labelling on both said 110-240V input. The PS3 is 110V only, so I am using that with a 110V converter which you can find at most electronics stores here.

Second, neither TV will directly decode the PAL signal here. I'm using nowTV which actually comes in over the DSL line as data before being decoded by the set top box. I bought an Atlona PAL to NTSC converter to solve that issue. However, the video quality is definitely less than stellar and I suspect that it is, in part, due to high compression by the nowTV people. But it works. It is primarily used by my kids to watch Disney Channel and Boomerang.

High Def content I'm not sure about. I've learned that there is an HDMI 50Hz and an HDMI 60Hz. I bought an Atlona 50 to 60Hz converter as well before I left the US, but since the available High Def content is so limited, I did not spring for the extra monthly fees here. There is High Def being broadcasted Over-The-Air as well, but the signal is completely blocked by the mountain behind where I live. So I can't really tell if HK High Def content would work directly or not.

Personally I am more of a movie buff. I generally watch content from the AppleTV or streamed from my NAS HDD to the PS3. I've learned over the past few weeks that the PS3 is a spectacular media server, with plenty of horsepower even when streaming HD 1080P movies that are stored on the NAS.

Region 1 DVDs and Blu-Ray discs are widely available here, so bring your US DVD player if you want. My local movie rental place only rents Region 1 stuff from what I can see.

I hope this helps somebody.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    The TVs sold in HK are multi-system, so yes, the will accept NTSC (US) inputs.

Your problem will be getting the appropriate power converters for the PS3.

Personally, I'd dump the DVD Player.
    I'm pretty sure that both the US and Japanese PS3 have universal power supplies.

100-240V
    50-60Hz

(Edit : found that link that might help

Amazon.com: Need help with ps3 voltage - blu-ray Discussion Forum )

As a side note : blue ray movies (that he can play on his ps3) in HK and USA have the same region code...
    Last edited by FilipH; 30-08-2008 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipH:
    I'm pretty sure that both the US and Japanese PS3 have universal power supplies.

100-240V
    50-60Hz

(Edit : found that link that might help

Amazon.com: Need help with ps3 voltage - blu-ray Discussion Forum )

As a side note : blue ray movies (that he can play on his ps3) in HK and USA have the same region code...
    You would think that is true about the PS3 but my PS3 strictly says 120V on the label. I've never been bold enough to test it on 220V

Didn't know that HK and US had same region code for Bluray - thanks.

Don