Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SushiLover

Good, basic camera in Hong Kong

Good, basic camera in Hong Kong

Ok, I'll cut to the chase.

I'm in Causeway Bay at the moment. I've just moved to HK and want to document my experiences here for some good memories. I have no previous photography experience however, I do want a half-decent camera that will take excellent quality images that I can look back on with happiness. (i.e, shooting famous attractions such as The Peak, beaches, the waterfront / buildings etc)

Should I just go for a top of the range click and shoot style, or something more sophisticated?

Also, where should I look to purchase? (I've read so many conflicting reports so somewhere with honesty and integrity would be nice!).

I realise this is a bit of a vague question, but I honestly wouldn't know how to get more specific as I'm a complete novice in the area.

P.S - Budget is around 2000-2500HKD

Thanks in advance,

Adam

You may consider the Sony NEX-5 (Not the NEX-5N), it is around 3500 HKD (Slightly over budget). Exchangeable lens, and compact. Sony Alpha NEX-5 Compact System Camera - Full Review

sophisticated cameras will cost more then 2500. moreover you have no experience so better choose a compact camera.

Canon makes excellent point and shoots (compact camera). Read Product reviews and prices, software downloads, and tech news - CNET for technology reviews.

So, which camera did you settle for? How about a camcorder? Lately I started using the vid mode. I realized most simple point and shoots don't have good "night sensor" lights so recently just got an entry-level sony camcorder. Still pics are great but since you're new to the area and will explore so much, I think it'd be nice to have some vids.

AJ9 likes this.

Hey guys, I ended up with a Canon s95. Really pleased with it, and have even taken a few half-decent shots if I don't say so myself.

I know what you mean SushiLover about the night sensor. Saying that, there's probably a setting I'm completely missing already that makes things much more fluent and easy to use I'm not utilising properly.