PCCW silver vs black decoder?

PCCW silver vs black decoder?

Anyone know the difference between the two? I just got a call from PCCW that they wanted to replace my "black" decoder with a "silver" one because apparently my contract called for the silver one. I asked what the difference was and was told the silver one is "more stable" - but given the guy's urgency, I suspect it's because the black one is better somehow? Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!

HD vs. no HD

My old decoder was silver and got replaced by a black one when I upgraded to HD.

The new black one, which says "HD" on the front, is known as the All-in-One Set-top box. This one can also be connected to an aerial for receiving digital terrestrial television.

The silver one is known as the High Definition Set-top box, although now TV has claimed it is not when I argued they should provide me with free HBO in HD as they advertised.
    (Admittedly I don't subscribe to any HD channels but that was not mentioned as a requirement, only having a HD box was).

You can find more information here; see "Download User manual" at the bottom right.

PS: The old, non-HD decoder was also black. Perhaps they want to replace that one?

Last edited by Raccon; 05-12-2011 at 03:27 PM.

If you upgrade from standard to HD, make sure you get the right modem as well. When I upgrade to HD, they didn't replace the modem. I always had to reboot the modem and the HD box in order to make it work. Finally got around complaining and they came and replaced the modem. The PCCW dude said that the old modem wasn't compatible with HD.

Thanks for the info all - very helpful. Strange, when I talked to the first pccw guy, he wanted to make an appt that night to switch the decoder. Because I wanted to investigate first, I agreed to an appt later this week. After reading your responses, I just called pccw to ask again for the reason for switching (and actually told the guy that I didn't believe the last guy's reason). Not only did he say my black decoder was HD and the most updated, he also said that there was no appt for me in their system! I wonder if this was some kind of scam...

Anyway, big thanks again!