Converter from 110v to 220v?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Converter from 110v to 220v?

I was wondering how big a converter is and approx how much? I went by the electronics store here to find the ones sold here are quite big and bulky and seems to weigh a few lbs. I decided to pass on it since I"ve already maxed out my 50 lb 1 piece luggage for check in. (Next time gotta make sure i take the competitors where i get 2 pcs 100 lbs).

Or, is there a store where I could just buy some cheap immersion blender to make soup (this is the stick-like blender you place inside your pot after you cook your food). I was going to bring that and my mini bullet blender to make some fresh smoothie. Since I'll eat out most of the time, I'd like to be able to make some home -made soup and have some oatmeal smoothie once in a while.

What you need is a step-down transformer (220V to 110V) if you want to use US equipment here.

Size/weight depends on the power rating (in Watt) of the equipment that you want to connect, I guess a blender will be 100W or so, thus a small one would suffice. You can find them here, no need to bring them over. Or just buy a new blender here but I can't help you with that (don't cook).

So how much would this "step down" transformer costs? $10-40 HKD?

Do you really mean US$1.20 -4.80?
    A simple Google brought this site up for starters...AC 220V TO 110V CONVERTERS Transformer type, STEP UP STEP DOWN TRANSFORMER , EUROPEAN PLUG, CONVERT 110 VOLTS TO 220 VOLTS

Quote Originally Posted by SushiLover
    So how much would this "step down" transformer costs? $10-40 HKD?
    I got one in Wanchai Computer Centre for around HKD 130.

step down transformers price depends on size and type ( more importantly wattage)

small electronics (less than 30watts) from HK$35 ap liu street, presumably HK$50 in hk island
    medium electronics (less than 35 to 100watts) from HK$80 ap liu street, ... in hk island
    Large electronics (less than 100 to 500 watts) from HK$250 ap liu street, ... in hk island
    over a thousand to 3000 watts can be as much as HK$1500

Found one here for about $100.

Buy Auto Transformers Transformer,plug in,UK to USA voltage converter,230Vac 50Hz input,110Vac 45W output Oxford Electrical Products MW2P045UK online from RS for next day delivery.

Generally I don't like these things. I find them bulky and kind of a worry that they might be a fire hazard. If you are coming over for the long haul, you might just sell (or store) your device back home and just buy a new one when you arrive here.

how much wattage would a mini "bullet blender" (the type for small smoothie) and a hand blender be? $35 HKD --ap liu street. ...is that brand new or 2nd hand?

Probably worth just buying a new one here..,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast