buying laptop ram, where and how much?

buying laptop ram, where and how much?

Hi

I want to up the RAM in my lappie.

In the UK I would just buy it online from crcuial (man i miss online shopping, seems its just not so common here!)

Anyway is it a case that I go to a computer centre, probably Wanchai and ask for RAM for my make and model of computer (will they know the RAM I need, or do I need to find out the exact specifics?)

Also how do I find out what price I should be paying?

BTW I have an Asus A8F.

Thanks!!!

Pin - most shops will have RAM on their displays with price. Take your notebook and get the guy to install and test it for you (something you cant do when you order online).

Quote Originally Posted by pin
    Hi

I want to up the RAM in my lappie.

In the UK I would just buy it online from crcuial (man i miss online shopping, seems its just not so common here!)

Anyway is it a case that I go to a computer centre, probably Wanchai and ask for RAM for my make and model of computer (will they know the RAM I need, or do I need to find out the exact specifics?)

Also how do I find out what price I should be paying?

BTW I have an Asus A8F.

Thanks!!!
    I would go to C2 (very well stocked with laptops of all kinds) 1st floor Computer arcade at Star House, TST (next to the TST Star ferry pier), check the price and then shop around on the same floor for it. Sometimes C2 has the best offer, but I have ended up saving a couple of thousand on a IBM T series just waiting a few days in another shop that didn't keep stock, as to carrying it away from C2. (Reptron, opposite of C2: they look very small, but Chris, the manager can get pretty much of everything if he says so. Else he would let you know. And he knows that I shop around and even suggests that I buy it at another place if his rate is not competitive that day)

Would that be 2C? If so, can the 2C at Windsor House also supply and fit ram?

Quote Originally Posted by discobay
    Would that be 2C? If so, can the 2C at Windsor House also supply and fit ram?
    Sorry, of course 2C. I am quite sure they can.

Star House? Nooooooo they're tourist prices and for people who don't know any better.

Can't go wrong with wanchai computer centre or mongkok.

Go to Sham Shui Po via MTR, exit D2 I believe. You will see Golden Computer Center. Just picked up a stick of 1gb pc2-5300 sodimm for $299 HKD. Brand is Adata.

thanks guys

i'm probably going to head to wanchai computer centre with laptop today.

I think you got this the wrong way round. The youngsters in the markets see a Non Chinese face and mark up automatically. The guys in Star house are either professional outfits, box shifters ( 2C ) or experienced retailers.
    Got some REAL sweet deals out of this place over the years, always by being a genuine purchaser, doing my homework and NOT taking the piss on price.

The Fujitsu shop is expensive I grant you, but then again this brand runs along the same path as the Apple shop. Can't get decent deals, but thats well known.

FYI
    Samsung CLP500N - colour laser printer , networked enabled PnP ( last year cos now its some other number) HKD1700. EVERYWHERE else over 2.1K in line with the Epson and HP printers. AND -- ( 2C ) they delivered this weighty beast to my office for free - within the hour.
    Downside - its cheaper to buy a new printer than buy the replacement toner cartridges !

Laptop memory HKD180 , SSP and WC wanted from 220 to 320 for same item !!!

The software shop there has great info on what to buy and what NOT to buy. All genuine and if he says " don't buy the full version, the upgrade at 1/3rd price is enough " -- well , what better recommend can you have.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    Star House? Nooooooo they're tourist prices and for people who don't know any better.

Can't go wrong with wanchai computer centre or mongkok.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    ... The guys in Star house are either professional outfits, box shifters ( 2C ) or experienced retailers.
    Very right. And when it comes to aftersales service you don't want to shop at a place where shops change owners on a daily basis. I had the guys at 2C work for hours to fix a problem for me that would have been the duty of the IBM service centre needing 2 trips to Quarry Bay and a day in between.