Which is better Linux Interface or MS Vista?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Woo Hoo! Everyone has gone all techie around here!

I would have though that everyone wants to just see pretty pictures and not care how many Ghz and RAM or power you have to use. Isn't that one of the main reasons to switch to Apple for the pretty interface? Isn't that the reason to get Vista?

I do like the Cube desktop concept, however I would like to boot virtualized OS's into each side. That gives me an idea. Consolidating a couple of MS Windows boxes into one.

MS Windows still beats the crap out of Linux on ram consumption on its UI particularly if you have multiple displays.

Linux X Windows + UI = RAM hog. which is why I don't have X Windows installed on anything.

I am migrating right now a Sun box from NetBSD to Solaris 10 so I can use the amazing ZFS. Bye bye hardware raid controllers.

Warning Sales Pitch Ahead: If anyone is looking for some very small servers, I have 10 x Netra 105 and T1 in stock 512MB/1G, 2 or 6 FE ports. Can use as a Firewall/Switch when configured with 6FE ports. They are 1U and very shallow and use less than 100W of power. Starting at HK$1900.

Last edited by hk.com; 04-09-2007 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hk.com:
    I would have though that everyone wants to just see pretty pictures and not care how many Ghz and RAM or power you have to use. Isn't that one of the main reasons to switch to Apple for the pretty interface? Isn't that the reason to get Vista?
    Well the guys will obviously be into the dick waving about graphics, and specs, a lot of people just want something that works. Microsoft probably made the same mistake about the graphics.

MS Windows still beats the crap out of Linux on ram consumption on its UI particularly if you have multiple displays.

Linux X Windows + UI = RAM hog. which is why I don't have X Windows installed on anything.
    That's a "feature", not real usage:
    http://techpatterns.com/forums/about687.html
    Last edited by MrMoo; 04-09-2007 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo:
    Well the guys will obviously be into the dick waving about graphics, and specs, a lot of people just want something that works. Microsoft probably made the same mistake about the graphics.[/url]
    Something that works and meets the requirements in HK is not typically what drives a sale, unfortunately. Selling to outside HK is alot easier, good prices good products and right sizing win the most of the deals, but not in Hong Kong. This also applies to HK expats that have been here for a long time, they become like locals. Unless they are German.

Something that works and meets the requirements in HK is not typically what drives a sale, unfortunately.
    For a lot of Asia it's whatever says Microsoft and is the cheapest or free. But you know a few Fortress stores do sell Apple computers now.

Ubuntu and other desktop Linux distributions are not popular because the resellers simply don't know they exist. It's actually surprisingly how few electronic shop people read the local IT press. If you ask around I can guarantee that many people have no idea what HDTV is. If a big vendor started cutting prices by the HK$400-700 for the Vista license but with Ubuntu pre-installed and everything working the market would quickly change.
    Last edited by MrMoo; 05-09-2007 at 12:00 PM.

It is a amazing World on Open Source IT

Hi folks,

Just joined this forum and found this thread.

The starter's video can be displayed nicely on my obsolete PC, PIII with only 384MB RAM, running Ubuntu 7.04 desktop as OS. All components on this PC are obsolete for long time. The PC is a workstation. I can run it as server with either Linux or Unix as OS.

I haven't run MS Windows for at least >7 years which is only in my history. There are tons of free treasure on Open Source for you to explore. They won't be delivered to your door. They need you to search for them on Internet.

You can build a router on P-II PC equivalent to Cisco product. You can build a network gateway on obsolete PC similar to Symantec product.

In fact most proprietary software came from Open Source via acquisition, such as Trivoli, People soft, etc. But you can easily find their replacement on Open Source. If you prefer MS Window features there is Open Window. Besides you can run Window's software on Linux without MS Window.

It is a amazing World on Open Source IT.

B.R.
    satimis

Last edited by satimis; 07-09-2007 at 01:04 PM.

It is perfectly ok to do what you want to do, in a personal environment. However, you have to keep in mind that many users need consistency because of support / corporate standards.

Can you imagine the check in girl at Cathay going .. oops .. something on my desktop just burnt up, if she hits the wrong keys?

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    It is perfectly ok to do what you want to do, in a personal environment. However, you have to keep in mind that many users need consistency because of support / corporate standards.
    If you hadn't noticed Vista and Office 2007 are out and change everything for the corporate sheep. Now is the great time to try other platforms.

>> Vista and Office 2007

Zilch adoption rates in the corporate space. Most of these folks are on locked down environments with XP and Office XP or Office 2003.

Name one big name corporate user in HK that has moved to Vista enmass given that most of their desktops probably cant handle that crap.

I have been burnt enough times with various linux distros on the desktop that I simply am not going to be come an open source sheep.

(We do run a 100% linux / openish source backend)

I also came from Windows. >7 years ago I was running proprietary software. I fully understand the "support" which can be offered, ".... reinstall the software". I did not find what kind of standard a proprietary software can offer.

It never happens in Linux and/or Unix world hitting a wrong key would result in the PC unstable or making it crashed.

Never say never