Which is better Linux Interface or MS Vista?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

If I'm working in a big corporate and my boss has no knowledge on Linux and/or Unix and I make a suggestion to the corporate turning to Open Source platform what result will come out eventually. My boss will request me to retire first before him.

I would suggest my corporate continue running proprietary software. Who pay for the licence? Not me. The corporate and/or their shareholders pay the licence fee. In case of problem I can shift my responsibility to licensor.

It is worthwhile paying the licence fee to escape responsibility and to get my job secured simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    Never say never
    At least it did not happen on me. Anything going wrong on hitting a wrong key I can get the problem fixed myself.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo:
    If you hadn't noticed Vista and Office 2007 are out and change everything for the corporate sheep. Now is the great time to try other platforms.
    Along those lines, I think even the uneducated are starting to realized that Microsoft taking them for a ride. This is more of a reason for them to go and test Linux.

You said user can't get linux from vendors but Dell is already rolling out Ubuntu and HP has also started to make Linux available on selected models.

I am with KIA, Win2K is one of the lightest desktops I can run. I am no willing to cough up for 2GB of ram just to run Beryl. I am still impressed by it though.

As for Linux servers, they should never run Xwindows, particularly to configure and administer them. To administer Linux using Xwindows/Gnome/Beryl shows inexperience.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo:
    If you hadn't noticed Vista and Office 2007 are out and change everything for the corporate sheep. Now is the great time to try other platforms.
    Vista is a 64bit OS. Of course 32bit software can run on it. MS overlooks that other peripheral software are 32bit. What will be the sense investing fund getting a 64bit OS to run 32bit software, simply going back to XP/2000.

I don't run 64bit Linux nor 64bit Unix as workstation. The benefit for running 64bit OS is if ;
    - Onboard RAM > 4G. Because some 32bit OS detects >4G RAM only as 3.4G
    - for Video decoding
    - for game
    - for graphic editing
    etc.

Open Source software is the trend to move accounting for their stability and cost, free to use for unlimited time. Redhat Linux acquired by IBM, SUSE Linux by Novell, Crystal Report by Business Objects, Trivoli and Peoplesoft by IBM, etc. are the evidence. If not accounting for their advanced technique and outstanding features the CEO and CIO of the multination giants won't invest billions of USD to acquire the Open Source software dumping company fund on usefuless scraps. Their CEO and CIO are outstanding buinessmen and top admin personnel.

I have been running various Linux distro, RedHat/ Mandrake/ Slackware/ Debian/ Gentoo/ Arch/ DamnSmall/ Leather/ CentOS/ Fedora/ Knoppix/ Puppy/ Embedded_Linux/ ScienticLinux/U buntu/etc. and various Unix, FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD/DragonflyBSD/PCBSD/DesktopBSD/etc. I personally prefer LFS (LinuxFromScratch). I built my own Linux 3 years ago. The first build took me 3 weeks to complete. Now I can build LFS in 5~7 days. Some folks can build LFS in 3 days. LFS is a wonderful OS, rigid and safe. I can boot up the PC is less than 30 seconds. If you need a rigid Linux OS for server proceed further to HLFS (HardenLinuxFromScratch).

UltraSparc Processors, the fast CPU in the World, will be another wave. Sun is considering selling it to the market as component. The technique in using UltraSparc is Open Source, OpenSparc.net

I learnt all IT knowledge without going to a single course nor purchasing a book. There are tons of up-to-date documentation on Internet waiting for you to use. In case of difficulty go to the community. There are nice folks there willing to offer help without reserve. They won't turn you away with disencouraging comment.
    Last edited by KnowItAll; 07-09-2007 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hk.com:
    - snip -

As for Linux servers, they should never run Xwindows, particularly to configure and administer them. To administer Linux using Xwindows/Gnome/Beryl shows inexperience.
    Agreed. X-Windows is a security hole on server.

On the early stage of building a server I need X-window to run GUI browser for searching technical document on Internet. X-window won't start at boot only in need. Although I'm experienced in running text-browser the website visited complains frequently, reminding me running an appropriate browser. There is no sense tunnelling a workstation for Internet browsing, running 2 PCs for a single job.

I run light-weight desktop such as Fluxbox/Fvwm/etc. Additionally I run rox-filer as file manager, leafpad as GUI text editor and firebox as GUI browser which has many addon/plugin features such snapshot/image-zoom/page-zoom/etc.

After finishing fine tuning the server I'll erase all of them.

Ok, so what you're saying is -- "I like Linux" ?

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    Ok, so what you're saying is -- "I like Linux" ?
    Sounds like he has a fufme in his "Lunix boxen."

Quote Originally Posted by satimis:
    Agreed. X-Windows is a security hole on server.

I run light-weight desktop such as Fluxbox/Fvwm/etc. Additionally I run rox-filer as file manager, leafpad as GUI text editor and firebox as GUI browser which has many addon/plugin features such snapshot/image-zoom/page-zoom/etc.

After finishing fine tuning the server I'll erase all of them.
    Err... but why do you need to do this using X. You should be able to get the machine up with your eyes closed in text mode, and do reminder config done via SSH. Sounds like a waste of time.

Also doing the reminder from another machine has the advantage that you can have your bookmarks and everything you may need handy, but that is not something a REAL admin should be doing.

Deep down you are just avoiding using vi.

Quote Originally Posted by hk.com:
    Err... but why do you need to do this using X. You should be able to get the machine up with your eyes closed in text mode, and do reminder config done via SSH. Sounds like a waste of time.
    I don't need X to get the server up. I need X assisting me for testing new features/application in searching document on Internet.

At start I'll install an OS without X only having packages for server. After the server is up running then I install X packages on repo. I run SSH only for transferring files between machines. Previously I ran SSH to remote configure server on a workstation. Later I dropped this practice, not much sense running 2 machines to do a single job. But the advantage is I can have the full install/config record saved on the workstation immediately. Now I must SSH transfer the working record back to the workstation.

I maintain a full history of installation/configuration/testing recording each steps performed which will allow me tracing problem. There are screen shots on the record.

I ran 32bit FF on a 64bit platform because most addon/plugin are still 32bit. To install 32bit package on 64bit FF is time-consuming. Either I have to converting the 32bit package to 64bit first or doing the another way to get it installed. Debian has full document converting a 32bit package to 64bit.

Deep down you are just avoiding using vi
    I ran vi -> nano -> vim and now leafpad. A GUI editor is more convenient same as GUI browser.
    Last edited by satimis; 08-09-2007 at 04:00 PM.

On the early stage of building a server I need X-window to run GUI browser for searching technical document on Internet. X-window won't start at boot only in need. Although I'm experienced in running text-browser the website visited complains frequently, reminding me running an appropriate browser.
    This is telling of many things, firstly you're not running headless, no disk images, no SAN, and you don't have a PXE boot build environment. This translates to a small hack operation. Are you trying to impress someone with "experience in text browsing?" Just sounds like you're using a lame website and haven't heard of w3m.

There is no sense tunnelling a workstation for Internet browsing, running 2 PCs for a single job.
    Why? Outside of using KVM over IP many admins use a laptop and a serial cable to configure a machine sufficiently to start remote admin.

I run light-weight desktop such as Fluxbox/Fvwm/etc. Additionally I run rox-filer as file manager, leafpad as GUI text editor and firebox as GUI browser which has many addon/plugin features suchs napshot/image-zoom/page-zoom/etc.
    Typos aside, this just confirms you're a --funroll-loops ricer.