Which is better Linux Interface or MS Vista?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Which is better Linux Interface or MS Vista?

see the video
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe5OzNQ"]YouTube - WINDOWS VISTA AERO VS LINUX UBUNTU BERYL[/ame]

In the bloggy thingy please ..

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/blog.php

You are going to give me a stroke trying to figure out what should be in the forum or in a blog.

Thats the whole point..

Here's what I prefer..

These GUIs make me dizzy.

Give me a good text based interface which does not need a $5000 graphics card and I'll be happy.

yes that is why you use Outlook Express.

For your dizzyness take some anti sickness tablets.
    If you were a real IT guy you would be using Pine or Emacs or Mule.

Back to the topic who likes Beryl?

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location

oooooh....showdown of the geeks!

>> who likes Beryl

Not me.

>> Pine etc ..

Glad you brought that up. Its about using the right tools for the right job. UIs .. well all they do is put a pretty face on a tool. I cant deal with either Vista's AERO or the BERYL thing ...

XP ... thats what I prefer.

Im with knowitall.
    Beryl is just something a real pro would never use. Its just.....too much... pure GLX is much better and cleaner, it doesn't have fairy dust and shit FX flying around all over your screen as soon as you interact with elements on the screen. Beryl feels like a teen who just discovered the drop shadow and glow effect in photoshop and started putting it on everything.
    Well thats my five cent anyways.

But Blackbox is what gets my vote, ultra clean interface.

That's one lame ass comparison, a default Vista to a dubiously modified Ubuntu with Beryl and Google Picasa.

The major point in the video seems to be Beryl's cube workspaces versus Aero's 3d window list. A lot of users don't understand the concept of workspaces so this is fairly lame.

A few of the nice features of XP/Vista are slowly appearing in Ubuntu. SLES only currently has the advanced start menu (called Slab). New versions will have a better face browser for login. Google Desktop for Linux appears the only useful advanced search engine as Beagle seems to be committing suicide with features disappearing or getting worse. A combined Compiz/Beryl will hopefully improve graphics, current out-of-the-box versions are rather unstable, slow due to incompatibilities (Google Picasa), or broken (black windows on large screen graphics or video).

For local users of Ubuntu typography of Chinese still is rather sub par, no free compatible Ming fonts (Arphic do not render the same size as Microsoft), and terrible spacing on latin characters.

So Microsoft wins with a slight lead as most users don't care about the effects. For a local educated user who cannot type Chinese its an out right victory for Microsoft as Q9 isn't available on Linux.

Last edited by MrMoo; 04-09-2007 at 02:26 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast