Connection sharing on HKBN.

Closed Thread

Connection sharing on HKBN.

Could someone enlighten me and tell me how HKBN manages their access control.

I have a friend that wants to put 2 PC's on the 25Mbit link they have. Can they just put a 2nd PC and get an IP via DHCP or do they need a front end router to do NAT?

could you elaborate a bit more on the setup hk.com?

I think he wants to know if he can put a switch (i.e. multiple IP addresses on a single wire) or NAT / router -- i.e. its a PPPoE or single address per line type connection.

HKBN runs a large metro ethernet network. They run fiber to the building and then cat5 to the home. You switch on your PC, you get an IP and you are off. No PPPoE or anything needed.

So can someone who is using them tell me what happens when you plug in a switch into the Cat 5, can a 2nd PC get an IP also?

Or to hook it up do you have to use the first PC as a gateway and have the 2nd PC use it as its default route with NAT.

This is something I prefer not ask the people I know in HKBN.

Ok I've figured it.

If you plug in a switch to HKBN's Cat5 connection in your home, the link will go up, however if you plug in just one single PC into the switch it will not work it won't work either if you plug multiple PC. The HKBN cisco switches are setup to filter any MAC learning from other switches. So your switch will never get a chance to teach the HKBN switch that it has PC's connected to it.

Very simple and effective.

So the answer is just connect anything with an ethernet card into it like a PC or a router and firewall.

If you are thinking about Firewalls or routers you better have something beefy as HKBN run at 25Mbit-100Mbit. For my friend I have set her up with a Juniper Netscreen 5GT (103) unrestricted that can do about 75Mbit.

If anyone wants NS-5GT-103 (VPN) I have 3 left at HK$2600/each also available HK$5000 from Juniper channel.

Quote Originally Posted by hk.com
    If anyone wants NS-5GT-103 (VPN) I have 3 left at HK$2600/each also available HK$5000 from Juniper channel.
    Geoexpat gets its very own Arthur Daley...

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    Geoexpat gets its very own Arthur Daley...
    I don't particularly like the connotations which you refer to my business twice in this forum.

Yes I sell used hardware and also new but I am sure you are not aware that we supply to the carriers, telcos, ISPs in HK and Asia on which your companies voice traffic goes on?

- We supply new and used equipment.
    - Provide pre-sales that competes and often wins against the official distributor.
    - We get hired to trouble shoot networks when the official partner has let the customer down.
    - Beat vendors in delivery speeds hands down.
    - and now we provide Advance replaced maintenance contracts on 24 x 7 x 4 on high equipment for companies that are tired of Cisco not having replacement stock.

I am also designing for your competitors an IDD exchange that will still start 700 x E1 circuits (2x OC12)

Drawing parallels between my business and what Arthur Dailey or "a used car salesman" is to say the least unfair.

If you were someone of influence or worked for a company that is high of the food chain I would maybe consider you comments in jest, as it stands they are misrepresentations or insults which have to be addressed.

Lets leave it at that guys .... I don't want a debate on which telco sector comes closer to achieving used car salesman status.

I think you know where I stand on that ...