Like Tree1Likes

Best noise cancelling headphones?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I second Imparanoic

I have the Sony NWZ X1060, I'd be lost without them.
    Get earphones though, Way better than the Headphones.

On the MTR pretty much all I can hear is the station announcement and that's it.

I'd imagine it's for safety reasons that higher frequencies are not cancelled?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile

I suspect the way these noise cancelling headphones work is that they only block out constant noise sources (for example, engine noise from airplane / train). They dont block out varying sounds such as human voice.

Have been looking around for noise cancelling headphones the last few weeks, tried many, and so far none have come close to the Bose quietcomfort. But alas, its pretty expensive.

100LL likes this.

Sennheiser mm 550

The wireless bluetooth function is fantastic for multi-mode travel. No wires to get caught up in anything. Noise cancelling is OK for annoying low rumble on buses, trains and planes. The extra ease of use makes them worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast

Sennheiser mm 550

The wireless bluetooth function is fantastic for multi-mode travel. No wires to get caught up in anything. Noise cancelling is OK for annoying low rumble on buses, trains and planes. The extra ease of use makes them worth considering.
    And for a mere US$ 500 it's a steal!

Quote Originally Posted by 100LL
    And for a mere US$ 500 it's a steal!
    The question was which are the 'best' that would probably mean they aren't going to be cheap.

These headphones are good and the Bluetoooth option makes them better than most.

Noise blocking in earphones is all about the tips and the fit. In my experience foam tips block the most outside sound (without getting custom moulded earphones) with Shure Olives being the best and Comply tips second best. So what you want is to find a pair of earphones within your budget that can fit those tips which you can buy afterwards. The tips fit multiple brands ie the Shure tips don't just fit Shure phones.

And make sure you get the right size tips. They must be big enough to create a seal in your ears but not so big that you have trouble getting them in.

I prefer rubber tips to foam, foam tend to tear easily and a hassle to clean.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    I prefer rubber tips to foam, foam tend to tear easily and a hassle to clean.
    Have you tried the Shure tips? You can clean them much easier than Comply because the outside surface is smooth instead of porous. Comply only last me about 1 week as well whereas the Shures last me at least 1.5-2months with basically all day every day usage.

I can't go back to anything else anymore. Even when my old UE earphones didn't fit them I had to de-core the Shures to make them fit cause I couldn't stand all the other tips.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2