URGENT: Need Power Cord / Outlet

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

URGENT: Need Power Cord / Outlet

Hello,

I brought over a US laptop along with a converter only to find that the plug on the coverter is two prong, and the outlet on the computer is three prong. What do I do???

I had someone in the US fed ex me a power outlet. Somehow the message got lost in translation and they sent me a three prong power outlet which does not help the situation at all!!

Is there a place to buy this outlet in HK?

If you have any suggestions, please respond asap!

Thanks in advance.

I often find it easier buying a new cable to attach to the power brick. That tends to be a trip to Sham Shui Po or another computer centre. There are local electric stores that stock converters, although you are highly unlikely to find it at Fortress or Broadway, Best (Megabox) certainly has adapters and cables for everything.

Why do you need a converter? All Dells can take either current so I assume most others are the same.
    Maybe you only need an adapter to plug into a HK outlet? Can find those in the computer malls.

Bit confused.
    Are you saying you want to plug a US 2 prong into the 3 prong wall socket?

if so, then there are loads of travel adapters all over HK. Japan Home centres have them and there is probably one of those near you.

Aiya .. bulge bracket bankers without an IT department?

1) An outlet is on the wall.
    2) A laptop power supply has two components to it, a replaceable cord and a brick which is autosensing 99% of the time (check the specs .. it should says something like 100-240V 50-60Hz).

What you need is either an travel / universal adaptor which will allow you to continue using your current cord or a new cord which can be purchased for about $20-40 in any of the shops in Wanchai Computer center.

KIA,

I paid like 200 for the stupid thingy! Can't believe that's its only 20 to 40! And to think that I got it at Mongkok Computer Centre....Bloody ripped off big time!

A new power supply (i.e. brick ) should run about $200-250, not a cord.

okay...feeling better now

Thanks Knowitall.

Indeed, after speaking with my bulge bracket IT department =) and Dell support to confirm, I do not need a converter, just an adapter.

Thanks for your helP!

KIA: Cant you just put a sticky here with maps to all those computer places etc. So we can end the repetition for locations and where to get parts etc.
    Feel so tired of seeing the same kind of questions posted over and over again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast