Hopeless PCCW/Netvigator

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hopeless PCCW/Netvigator

So PCCW agai shows off as being incompetent internet provider!

Because they are blocking all SMTP traffic, I am forced to use their SMTP server to send my e-mails. As I have a domain name for my business, I also use my own POP3 server. Therefore, when sending messages, I want the e-mail clearly indicate return address to be:
    [email protected]

However, yesterday, some "smart" person messed up the PCCW SMTP servers. Now I cannot send e-mails that say "from [email protected]."

Today I spent 2 hours talking to Netvigator support people, who were rather clueless. Neither of the 2 people were able to help me. They said that "an expert" will call me.

So meanwhile, I am without e-mail.

Another example how unprofessional Hong Kong companies are.

This would happen if Netvigator have moved to implement the latest versions of various email standards. Under those standards, if you wish to send email using a from domain different from the domain of the server that is actually originating the mail then you have to use TXT records in the DNS entry of the from: domain.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Policy_Framework

These standards seem to be driven by the companies (Yahoo particularly) that wish us to hold all of our email on their central servers and access it through their web interfaces. They do not make things easy for people who use email as it was originally intended.

Last edited by PDLM; 20-09-2007 at 02:51 PM.

style : no clue why that would happen to you. I sent a few emails from home using my @geoexpat.com address.

As far as I can tell they're doing a better job. Hong Kong generates a lot of spam, the ISPs *need* to wisen up and clamp down very hard.

Your email service provider (ESP) should provide secure SMTP on another port, all the Hong Kong companies I have found offer multiple ports to bypass firewalls (qmail.com.hk for example offers ports 25, 1025, and 2025).

You can set your reply address in your email client using the "reply-to" field, this is never filtered by ISPs:

However I presume you are using the authenticated relay service Netvigator still lists on their website:

http://cs.netvigator.com/support/ema...outlook_e.html

Last edited by MrMoo; 20-09-2007 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo:
    You can set your reply address in your email client using the "reply-to" field,...
    If I use that, any e-mails that bounce back go to my Netvigator mailbox, which I don't use.

So this is not a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo:
    ... However I presume you are using the authenticated relay service .....
    Yes, I am using the authentication. But it seems to me that they are actually using some kind of double authentication, and failed to tell us.

My wife has the same problem with her e-mail system, since she also uses Netvigator and non-netvigator domain for e-mailing.

BYPASSING the NETVIGATOR SMTP

Anyone figured out how to bypass the Netvigator SMTP server?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    .... Under those standards, if you wish to send email using a from domain different from the domain of the server that is actually originating the mail then you have to use TXT records in the DNS entry of the from: domain.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Policy_Framework .....
    No. I am not trying to forge headers. Besides, that would be illegal.

I wasn't suggesting that you were. But you are trying to send emails with a From: domain of company.com through the email server of netvigator.com. That will be increasingly hard as mail server owners implement SPF and/or DomainKeys.

Quote Originally Posted by style:
    If I use that, any e-mails that bounce back go to my Netvigator mailbox, which I don't use.
    You can configure Netvigator through the web interface to forward mail.

For electronic billing they only send to your Netvigator account, which is really a feeble limitation for them, so the forwarding is really useful.

So where is your email hosting? Hassle them, not PCCW.
    Last edited by MrMoo; 20-09-2007 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by style:
    Yes, I am using the authentication. But it seems to me that they are actually using some kind of double authentication, and failed to tell us.

My wife has the same problem with her e-mail system, since she also uses Netvigator and non-netvigator domain for e-mailing.

BYPASSING the NETVIGATOR SMTP

Anyone figured out how to bypass the Netvigator SMTP server?
    We provide Premium grade email services. With us you can by pass anything you want. We can even on the fly setup a special port for you if needed. TSL, SSL or what ever crypto, even you have some old broken SMTP client we can talk to it. You can connect to our servers through two backbones. IMAP, POP3, Webmail, Blackberry and wireless support on our GroupMail service.

The question is whether you are willing to pay to fix your problems or are expecting Netvigator to change.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast