Fiber Broadband?

Fiber Broadband?

i saw a recent article and some advertisements around about Hong Kong Broadband Network Limited having 200Mbs Fiber optics line. Is this true? is this the fastest cable in HK...and does anyone know availability and pricing?

i cant seem to find ENG on their site.

they can do 1Gbit speeds actually.

The run fiber to each buiilding connect it to a Cisco switch and then they run Cat5 wire to your house.

200Mbit is probably 100/100Mbit.

so whats the cost and can they do it in Park Island?

the service is very low priced, they also have IP TV like NOW on their network also.

I think there is a link on their site to check coverage.

but this speed should be MUCH faster than netvigator....right?
    how about reliability?

only ISP i hear people using is Netvigator....but i just wonder why if cost and speed is better.

Most of the ISPs in HK .. same shit different packages.

Assuming you're not running server type apps on your connection (i.e. web / file / db servers with access to the world), you're going to find other limiting factors on a home network.

WiFi cards, 100Mbps ethernet cards on slow PCI buses, your Linksys router etc etc ... not a lot of the gear used in home desktops is going to let you take advantage of speeds higher than 100Mbps.

AND, we're not even touching the fact that at the end of the day, most connections are down to the ISPs overseas links.

Exactly, remember that the TOTAL internet bandwidth available to residential customers between HK and the outside would is probably a few hundred Gbps at most. So if you think that having 1Gbps between your apartment and the local HKBN building is going to get you 1Gbps download speeds from servers outside HK then you are going to be very disappointed.

To quote from the master piece of journalism "Computer World Hong Kong" we apparently have all of 16Gb/s international access. As Thailand is at 11Gb/s, from their official statistics I'd wouldn't completely rely on it.

16Gbit is way too little, intra HK traffic is 50Mbit.

http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/hkix/stat/agg...aggregate.html

So what guys do we use more intra HK than browsing outside HK? That 16Gbit is not just for HK people. Tone of ISPs Asia wide peer in HK exchange traffic or transit to US, Europe, Japan. Then there is a pile of MPLS which we are probably not seeing in the HKIX MRTG graph which is transitting through Hong Kong. All the traffic coming in, going out has to be going through some circuits, that are not being accounted here.

I forgot to also mention that there are more Satellite ISPs emerging in HK and I doubt those guys are going talking to Computer world.