Netvigator 18Mbps - $228 / month

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    deleteduser
    Quote Originally Posted by hk.com:
    Great in those circumstances when you can use multiple connections. But there are objects, and applications which you can't use multiple sockets and you are left with slow crappy performance.

Also you are getting that extra throughput by getting more of your "fair share" of the bandwidth on the network and other guys are going to go slower because of it.
    I'm the only one who downloads, so I can use all the bandwidth I want. If I had to, I could arbitrarily lower the maximum download speed in the case where I'd need to share the 6Mb among my home network. The same can't be said when someone wants to watch Now TV and it sucks up 5 of the 6 Mbps of bandwidth that we have

And yeah, certain applications which do their own downloading will still be limited to single-connection speed. But this is no different from using any other ISP. That's why download accelerators exist. The only way to access your full bandwidth is to use more than one stream at a time. If you know of a residential ISP that has the ability to give full bandwidth via one download stream, it would be interesting to hear about it. Surely they'd be in the minority (if such a thing even exists)

Doesnt Bittorrent also have multiple download streams to different peers or are they using stuff like packeteer to detect and shape that traffic?

I think bittorrent uses separate connections from peers.

the bittorrent is particularly rate limited. That is top on the list of protocols to rate limit if you are an ISP. Otherwise it would make browsing impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by lowlight:
    And yeah, certain applications which do their own downloading will still be limited to single-connection speed. But this is no different from using any other ISP. That's why download accelerators exist. The only way to access your full bandwidth is to use more than one stream at a time. If you know of a residential ISP that has the ability to give full bandwidth via one download stream, it would be interesting to hear about it. Surely they'd be in the minority (if such a thing even exists)
    There are ISPs that don't rate limit your traffic, but you have to pay. Go to any top not corporate ISP and you will see the difference - MCI, Asianetcom, Diyixian, NTTs carrier services etc. You are not the minority everyone wants a better service. I am sure that you and most would not pay HK$1x00 for decent dependable Internet access. It is easier to sit here and complain about what a poor service you get for HK$168-HK$228/month

deleteduser
    There are ISPs that don't rate limit your traffic, but you have to pay. Go to any top not corporate ISP and you will see the difference - MCI, Asianetcom, Diyixian, NTTs carrier services etc. You are not the minority everyone wants a better service. I am sure that you and most would not pay HK$1x00 for decent dependable Internet access. It is easier to sit here and complain about what a poor service you get for HK$168-HK$228/month
    Nope, you're the only one here I have noticed that complains about Netvigator

Like I said, this kind of service is expected and perfectly acceptable for residential service. I think it would be absurd to pay $1000's to get faster internet at home, when you can use other, cheaper solutions like download accelerators...

I just spent a month in Canada, and believe me, we have it good here. On any given time of day, your download speed (WITH accelerators, which means absolute max throughput) will range from 0.9 Mbps to 4 Mbps, and that's the "extreme" service that costs the equivalent of $400 HKD per month.

My only complain about Netvigator are the dumb f&cking c&nts who work there, sell their services, and attempt to deceive people to get them to sign contracts.

New Office

I called PCCW last week in order to offer me a decent Internet / landline deal for our new office in Tsuen Wan. For the Internet they quoted 228HKD for a 2MBit ("Business?") line......... they didnt even mention a faster option such as 6MBit or even faster....

Last edited by DaveD; 17-10-2007 at 01:36 AM.

This looks like a good point to jump in and try to make sense of what Now TV and Netvigator are telling me...

Moving in tomorrow to a flat in Pokfulam. I understand the wiring down the road has been replaced within the last year. Moving from Tai Tam where I was on Netvigator for internet and I-Cable for TV.

The people from Now sales have, for the longest time, not given me a diagram of their connections.

I assumed the modem would have two RJ-45s - one for Netvigator, and one for the NOW decoder.

As we have two phone lines, I thought putting the living room TV on one modem and the bedroom TV on another, one to each phone line, would give the TV and two internet connections.

But, no, the NOW sales guy says put one modem on Netvigator, and two modems on the TVs - and all on one phone line.

I'm a techie, but never have understood TV sales departments.

How would this work in the real world for best internet and good TV - sounds like the restriction might be in the street...

Thanks - Ron

At least part of Netvigator that I get to use, on a 4M/4M symmetric on average maxes out at 1.6Mbit.

After getting tired of slow start times and cpu hogging of the Firefox Download Manager, I installed a plug-in "Get them Down" For the first time I saw the circuit do 3Mbit-4Mbit, whilst downloading Solaris 10 (7 CDs). I actually had come to believe that the circuit could not even do those throughputs or the DSL part of the network was congested. Also a first to see a single connection going above 200KB/s - Business Netvigator vDSL at its best!

My conclusion is that the each TCP connection is rate limited.

The new modem that was delivered to us has multiple "STB" (set top box) outlets on it. So, it could be that now, over one high speed connection in, you can have your internet and multiple TV decoders.