Netvigator 18Mbps - $228 / month

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Netvigator 18Mbps - $228 / month

Quick update .. Netvigator just called to renew my contract ( $198 for 6Mbps) and offered an upgrade to 18Mbps @ $228 / month.

While I don't expect much difference in the overseas performance, its good to see that the intense amount of re-wiring they did in our area several months ago was for a purpose.

Up update yet from them on the HDTV roll out.

Now you will get 2Mbit of throughbput instead of 1Mbit.

deleteduser

I bet if you use 5-10 download steams, you'll be able to max it out.

Hk.Com - not bad for an extra $20 .. doubling of effective throughput.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    Hk.Com - not bad for an extra $20 .. doubling of effective throughput.
    I guess.

What does the speed figure signify.. I am a bit confused on it. It is obviously not a leased connection... so
    is this the total bandwidth that is shared among all connections they give in your building (assuming the 18 Mbps pipe to your building)?

18Mbps into to the switching platform on the telco?

HK.Com would know more ... we'll wait for his profound insights.

The 18Mbit is only the top speed that the DSLAM can do when talking to the modem.

Bottle necks can occur in several places:

DSLAM port.
    Not sure what PCCW is using for this but for other customers (not in HK) we sell them a card and per 1.5Mbit port they will wire 3 customers who will get 512Mbit. So they oversell the port.

DSLAM to server heads.
    The DSLAM operate at short range from the customer site as the connection is copper based. When they get the data, they will use one of the several ATM networks PCCW uses for different ADSL services. The ATM network will transport the data through it is 172.x.x.x network to where ever the ISP is (not only Netvigator is on this ATM network).

Each of the ISPs server heads which connect to this ATM network is normally on the 172.22.254.x regardless of where they are in physically in HK. For netvigator sometimes your traffic will go to Wan Chai Telecom house, or Quarry bay.

Using an ISP that uses PCCW ADSL has the advantage that they will bitch scream and moan if the DSLAM, ATM is slow and is not delivering what is agreed. They have far more know how and control to demand PCCW to deliver the bandwidth agreed. It also seems that the DSLAM ports do better and not as oversold as PCCWs. An example of this is Netfront 1.5M/512Kbit is can peak at 1.7/850Kbit

I find that PCCW delivers about 1/3 of the bandwidth that you signup for.

ISPs distribution network:
    after going through the ISP server heads (typically a Cisco 7206VXR, we sell lots of these) it will hit the ISP distribution network, which will guide the traffic to the core and will then route it to the appropriate international pipe or HKIX. If some router crashes or some fiber or GigEthernet line goes does before you are able to hit the international pipes you will get reroute to other circuits which may not have enough capacity. This happens oftens to Netvigator going to HKIX (intra HK).

The core: Core routers can choke when overwhelmed with excessive traffic, virus, DDOS attacks etc can crash them...

International pipe:
    I think nearly all ISPs in HK are overselling their international bandwidth where say they have requirements of 2Gbit from the customers but only have a 1Gbit. So then you will have to fight and get a percentage of the capacity of what your link, atm network etc is able to deliver to your PC.

As you can see odds are stacked against you getting the 18Mbit.

Whilst I hear what you say, with my 6Mb/s connection I do fairly reliably get 6Mb/s in the small hours of the morning to servers in Japan or Korea.

PDLM - Small hours ... and you're not doing trans-pacific hops and you're probably on a higher bandwidth regional connection.

Like you yourself said ... dont' expect too much out of a $200 connection.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast