GRPS/Edge access on PC's.

Closed Thread

GRPS/Edge access on PC's.

I recently upgraded to a new (old/2nd hand) Nokia and in the PC suite I found the "Connect to the Internet" via the phone. It was the easiest and fastest internet connection I've ever done. I just specified Peoples and I was online in seconds.

On Edge you can do upto 23-27KB/s througputs.
    Unfortunately sites like this one and CNN are total pigs not not really usable over Edge (even if you block the ads) - think 14.4K modems. But sites like slashdot, our email services are pretty usable. I think Wifi everywhere is not so essential.

I've still not played at tweaking the IP stack for the high latency of Edge.

Anyone else go online via Edge?
    Any PCMCIA Edge modems you can suggest or is one best sticking to ones mobile?

Here is a brilliant thread on Slashdot linking to an article on why Edge is faster than 3G.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.../10/16/0244228

An interesting post.
    "3G is rubbish here in Ireland, where people desperate for broadband have bought 3G data modems for internet access. The problem is that the system is not very scalable, and it is too expensive and slow for the operator to upgrade capacity to provide more service. The bandwidth they advertise for example (as "up to 3 Mbs") is shared for each cell - so even just two people using it solidly means half the bandwidth - but in city areas it means that the conditions can be worse than fixed-line dial-up.

From what I gather, EDGE is nice and cheap and can be more easily scaled. I believe O2 are now planning to roll it out in Ireland despite having a 3G network already."

All the telcos around asia are all getting ready to roll out WiMax services. We must glow with all the electro smog we are getting, GSM, 3G, CDMA, Wimax, HSDPA, Wifi. It can't be good for us.