Linksys Wireless Router WRT54G - HELP! I still can't connect!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

what I did so far

Hi everyone.

I'm posting here what's set up in my router (via the 192.186.1.1 route) so far so maybe you can help me figure out what I did wrong and what I still need to do:

1. In SET-UP
    - Set to PPPoE with user name and password included
    - Selected Connect on Demand
    -DHCP server enabled
    - There's a router name

2. In DDNS
    - DDNS Service currently set as Disable

3. In MAC Address Clone
    - My PC's MAC address is currently entered
    - Set to Enable

4. In Advanced Routing
    -Operating Mode is set to Router
    - Dynamic Routing, RIP is set to LAN & Wireless
    - In Static Routing, no route name, select set number is at 1(), destination LAN IP, subnet mask, etc have no numbers; Interface is set at LAN & Wireless

II. In WIRELESS
    1. In Basic Wireless
    - Wireless Network Mode is set at G-Only
    - Wireless Network Name (SSID) is included
    - Wireless channel is set at 11 (2.462 GHz)
    - Wireless SSID broadcast is set at disable
    - SES Security Parameters Configured

2. In Wireless Security
    - Security Mode is set to WPA Personal
    - WPA Algorithms is set at TKIP
    - WPA Shared Key is included
    - Group Renewal Key is set 3600 seconds

3. Wireless Mac Filter
    - Wireless Mac Filter is Enabled
    - Permit Only option is enable (Permit PCs listed to access the wireless network)

4. Advanced Wireless Settings
    - Authentication Type is set to Auto (default)
    - Basic Rate is set to Default
    - CTS protection mode is set to Disable (default)- - Secure Easy Setup is set to Enable

III. Security
    1. Firewall
    - Set to Block Anonymous Internet Requests
    - Set to Filter Multicast

2. All in VPN is set to Enable

IV. Access Restrictions
    1. Internet Access Policy
    - Set to 1 ()
    - Status is set to Enable
    - Allow status selected for Internet access during selected days and hours (days - everyday; hours - 24 hours)
    - No blocked services

V. Administration
    1. Management
    - Password is included
    - Access Server is set to http and https
    - Remote Management is set to Disable
    -UPnP is set to Enable
    2. Firmware Upgrade
    - Current Firmware is set to V. 7.00.4

VI. Status
    1. Router
    - Firmware version is 7.00.4
    - Mac address is included
    - Router name is included

2. Local Network
    - Mac address can be seen
    - IP address is set to 192.168.1.1
    - Subnet mask can be seen 255.x.x.x
    - DHCP server is set to Enable

3. Wireless
    - Mac address is visible
    - Mode is 54Mbps, 802.11g
    - SSID is visible
    - Channel is set to 11
    - Encryption Function is set to Enable

At this moment, while typing this, I am connected to the router via the blue cable but had to double click the Netvigator icon to connect.

I tried clicking "Connect" in the Status/Router set up (see VI. Status, 1. Router), but it still says disconnected.

Hope someone can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks so much!

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????
    ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????
    ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????

damn Chinese windows XP PC...
    ok i have to retype it all...
    Clear all security settings, clear the mac white list, basically reset the router again.
    Remove the Netvigator connection from your computer and make sure its not just the shortcut on the desktop. i suspect its being used as your default connection.
    Reset it all and try again if it does not work we can always arrange a public linksys router burning in times square or similar to show those imperialist basters over at linksys what we think of their products...followed by the public whipping of Ronald McD :P

Quote Originally Posted by maedayeve
    4. In Advanced Routing
    -Operating Mode is set to Router
    That's the problem. Set it to Gateway. You shouldn't be trying to be part of the internet - you're just trying to access it.

My Linksys WRT54G runs fine, albeit that I don't hammer it to death with Bittorrent etc.
    Last edited by PDLM; 23-10-2007 at 12:16 AM.

Yeah BT is a true router killer

about 7 months had a similar saga with a NEW linksys router (same model as yours M), first one i have ever had trouble with.

firstly;
    new and out of the box the FIRMWARE needed to be updated, check and make sure you have the latest firmware installed on the router.

second; made the following changes under advanced wireless settings---
    1.beacon interval change to 50 from 100
    2.rts threshold 2304 from 2347
    3.frag threshold 2304 from 2346

i did not read through the entire thread but i suspect many of the other basics were covered and hope im not repeating a post.

couple of side notes : the original installation cdr would never complete the setup correctly so check and recheck the wireless settings.

a third laptop on my network which happens to be an IBM always gives me trouble connecting and i still have not figured out why. curious what model computer you are connecting to your router, hope its not that same ibm laptop.

after-thought

i went through 3 routers

wanted to try the new N router with speed booster , never got it up and running correctly.

returned the N router to the computer store for the WRT54G. After a couple days and many hours could not get the 54g up and running correctly.

another trip back to the computer store and returned for another new wrt54g and this one did work after making the adjustments listed in the prior post.

previously i never had any trouble with various linksys products.

so if need be , hope you can return for a new one if this fustration continues , because the hardware could be faulty not you.

JohanSWE and PDLM, thanks. I had difficulty connecting through to my router a few hours ago. I set the Operating Mode to Gateway and removed the MAC address.

And I still couldn't connect to Netvigator so I decided to disconnect and directly plug my laptop via the cable to the modem.

So far, no one in this thread has suggested online resources that show the process step-by-step.

There's nothing about a Netvigator DSL config that would move it beyond the scope of a normal WiFi setup.

Directly connecting any computer to a DSL modem longterm is never a good idea, even if you think you're protected with a "good" software firewall. A ShieldsUp test might make this clear.

Quote Originally Posted by maedayeve
    I had difficulty connecting through to my router a few hours ago. I set the Operating Mode to Gateway and removed the MAC address.
    But if you removed the MAC address you've reintroduced a problem. The MAC address of the router should be set to be the same as the MAC address of the PC which is connecting successfully. If you change more than one setting at a time you'll never work out what the problem is except by chance.

Clone the MAC address again and leave the setting at Gateway.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast