Linksys Wireless Router WRT54G - HELP! I still can't connect!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

But was he referring to a MAC filter list to which he would have added his notebook's MAC address and no others?

Oh, possibly. But it would make sense to get the connection working and stabl before putting security like the MAC white list in place.

some progress! and then what's next?

Hi everyone.

Thanks for all your great advice.

PDLM, I followed your advice and entered my MAC address again. I also entered it in the list of MAC addresses that would be permitted to access the Internet.

Walkabout, I updated my firmware a week ago from 7.00.1 to 7.00.4 (I think). Anyway, I uploaded it again a few minutes ago.

Another changed I made after making some searching online about my laptop model (a Dell Inspiron 6400) was to change the wireless settings of my laptop from G to mixed.

And then...I was able to connect! After a few tries of course. I first tried pinging various websites and when it was able to ping during all 10 tries then I was convinced!!!

Right now, I'm connected via the little blue cable that goes from laptop to router to modem.

My next question now is: how do I get to activate the wireless Internet connection?

Thank you for all your patience, guys. I printed out this entire thread and checked all the steps you recommended.

So I hope someone can tell me to really go wireless!

Eve, where in HK do you live? This inability to get the router working is driving me crazy.

Jay, I live in Tsing Yi.

Ouch, that's far. If you were on HK side, I would have swung by and looked at it for you.

It's all of 11 minutes from Central!

Maedayeve - Please tell me to bugger off if you think I am hijacking your thread and to start a new one but....

I appear to be in a similar boat to yourself.

I have a WRT54G version 3 wireless router, about a year old.

After some initial installation issues, it has been working no problem for the last year, both with a wired connection and a wireless one.

However, and I don't know if this is related or a co-incidence, I was installing a new Mac Mini and tried unsuccessfully to connect to the wireless router.

Went to the PC wired up to the router and this could no longer browse to the net.

If I plug directly into the PCCW box all if fine, so not the internet connection.

If I look at the router settings, the internet is on and not flashing and it says 'connected' after I put in my PCCW username and password - but simply won't route any traffic.

I performed a factory reset yesterday and reinstalled the firmware suggested by Linksys and it worked again - until today.

I have not changed any other settings like MAC address black / white lists etc and I am not attempting to surf wirelessly.

Any ideas anyone???

Thanks

Last edited by HKNewBi; 27-10-2007 at 12:03 PM.

I find I have to unplug my WRT-54G and plug it back in again every couple of days. It just stops working at times.

Hi Jay

It has been no problem for 12 months but now I need to factory reset every 8 hours.

I am guessing it is knackered but wondered if anyone had managed to address this issue.

If I was to get a new one - as this seems the simplest route and they are pretty cheap these days - any particular brand / model someone would recommmend?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast