Linksys Wireless Router WRT54G - HELP! I still can't connect!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Unhappy Linksys Wireless Router WRT54G - HELP! I still can't connect!

Hi guys.

I've gone through all the threads and posts here that discussed this particular wireless router. I even saved them and followed them but I still can't connect to the Internet.

The SSID of my router shows up and when it says "Connect", I connect! And it's there. But I still can't browse.

Also, what's the little blue network cable for? Do I need to attach it to my laptop and the router (which I think defeats the purpose of having a 'wireless' router to begin with).

I've gone through the whole CD set up and the 192.168.1.X thing... to no avail.

If anyone would be willing to walk me through the steps, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!!!

What type of laptop is it?
    Is it wireless enabled ?

Some like my Toshiba have a on / off switch for wireless connectivity.

I think this is something as simple as not being enabled in some way.

Have you copied your PC's MAC address to the router? If not and if you're switching backwards and forwards between connecting the laptop directly and then trying to connect the router then your ISP may well be blocking it (particularly if it's i-cable, which definitely does that).

What does the Status screen of the setup 0n 192.168.1.1 say about your connection? Does it connect to the internet and show an IP address?

Are you using Netvigator?

Help on its way

I can help you , if you like, it s hard to say it on the post as there can be many variables. If you like you can call me and i can walk you through the steps. I have set up many wireless networks and there are a number of reasons why you may not connect.

feel free to call me and i will walk you through all the steps, i have been there before and know how frustrating it is.

67040755 any time today is good

Boris, yes my laptop's wireless adapter is enabled. It's built-in. My laptop is a Dell Inspiron.

Jay, yes I use a Netvigator broadband connection.

PDLM: I haven't tried that yet. I only learned how to get my pc's MAC address today.

The screen status says connected and enabled. And yes, it does show an IP address.

The port and Internet lights on my router are steadily lit, not blinking.

You will have seen my post then where I was having trouble and these same helpful people gave me lots of good advice but in trying to fix it I screwed things up badly and had to start from scratch. Now things are ok but I did purchase a new lifetime guarantee Belkin router. It is still in the box but bangde if I do install it I might just give you a call.

2 tips for MAYDAYEVE

1) Use the CD not the automatic installer on the computer. This router only likes its own installation system.

2) Start with the router off and the blue cable connecting your computer and your modem. Then go through the steps and when you get to the diagram of what the set up is supposed to look like unplug the blue cable from the computer and put it in the router and turn on the router and then finish the set up and then remove the blue cable.

Good luck!

Did you set up the Linksys software to connect to Netvigator for you? You have to selected PPOE and put in your login and password. I believe your login has to be in this format:

[email protected]

Hi Jay. Yes that's the first thing I did. I can connect to the Internet via the router through Netvigator but I still have to double-click the "Connect to Netvigator" shortcut. It's not in "automatically connect" mode.

I have a router back in my home country but it's a wired D-Link one. I also had trouble setting it up the first tie but since everything was wired, I figured it out eventually (with a little help from Tech Support).

But this is my first time to use a wireless router and use a wireless network so I'm really befuddled.

Thanks for the advice so far, guys.

I'll try it again tonight or tomorrow and let you know if it works.

You absolutely should not be using the "Connect to Navigator" shortcut (or any Navgator software) on your PC when connecting through the router. Your connection to the router should be just "plug & go" whether wired or wireless, and that should work even if there is now WAN plugged into the router. The only Netvigator login you should use is on the router.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast