Like Tree14Likes

Amazon's E-Ink Kindle Sales May Have Been A Disaster Last Quarter

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

I don't like shopping in reality and online. Do any versions of the Kindle allow you to read PDF files? Do any versions of the Kindle get too hot to hold - after all there must be a reason they call it the Kindle. I would have thought e-ink would stay cool but I wonder if hot processors and discharging cells make it a little uncomfortable in your hand.

Last edited by br111an; 08-05-2012 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by br111an
    I don't like shopping in reality and online. Do any versions of the Kindle allow you to read PDF files? Do any versions of the Kindle get too hot to hold - after all there must be a reason they call it the Kindle. I would have thought e-ink would stay cool but I wonder if hot processors and discharging cells make it a little uncomfortable in your hand.
    I have the Asus DR900 9" Sipix touch screen ebook reader and it really doesn't get hot and like a Kindle or a Nook or a Kobo there is very little processing that goes on so no reason for it to get hot.

Although a 9" screeen is better at reading PDF format Epub is now the industry norm for ebooks (except amazon).

The Asus allows RSS feeds so not only is it a book reader all my favorite news articles are on it also.

Last edited by East_coast; 08-05-2012 at 01:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative83
    That... sounds like something that would be put in an iphone/ipad app.
    Why do you think a Ipad app? It could easily apply to an ebook reader.

I think eink reader's potential lies in actually having multiple pages with touch screen feature. Ie. having the front page as the interface. When you select the book of choice, a good 30-50 pages will be shown (with the title page in the front screen) so that it can be 'flip'able.

As of current, and in the last couple of years, eink has merely been a fad for light readers.
    I guess you haven't used a touch screen eink reader. The refresh is a little slow but you get used to that in 5 mins just pressing next page with 5 words to go.
    Last edited by East_coast; 08-05-2012 at 01:33 AM.

Stays cool, doesn't get hot at all. They call it kindle as it is meant to kindle your imagination, not because you can start fire with it

Have not used a kindle fire but as its not e-ink I expect it could get hot

If you named yourself TheBrit, try to behave so you can show the world what you're made of. Otherwise change your name and then argue all you want. If not, at least show us you can make distinctions.
    Does the 83 in your user name refer to your IQ? If you don't want your silly and trite arguments to be shown as silly and trite... then stop making them. E-ink a fad for light readers? Just complete rubbish.

You've never actually seen or held an e-reader, have you?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Does the 83 in your user name refer to your IQ? If you don't want your silly and trite arguments to be shown as silly and trite... then stop making them. E-ink a fad for light readers? Just complete rubbish.
    Unfortunately while TheBrit is annoying he is right on this. E-ink and e-readers are anything but a fad. Just look around. You see people reading them everywhere that you see people reading books - on trains, planes, in their offices, on the beach, by the pool .....

Book sellers everywhere - from Amazon to traditional book stores are reporting ebooks outselling physical books. My view is that the technology is perfect for some like a novel - that you will read linearly, is composed mostly of text and is unlikely to be re-read or dipped in to.

For things like text-books or reference books, a physical book is still superior. Anything with lots of colour or graphics is also easier to read on physical paper at this point in time.

hello_there likes this.

It's true that e-books are still horrible for some types of books. I'm currently abroad using a travel guide on my B&N Nook and it's impossible to toggle between a description of something on one page and a map showing where it is on a different page. With an old fashioned book, it would take a second to retrieve the desired data by sticking one finger on the page with the map and another on the page of the description.

I think I would have problems retaining info if using an e-book version of a textbook, but then again, I'm old enough to have purchased vinyl and cassettes. Perhaps younger folks who have grown up with an LCD inches from their faces at all times will have no problems.

Last edited by huja; 08-05-2012 at 11:25 AM.
    TheBrit and bookblogger like this.

hot products

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    You've never actually seen or held an e-reader, have you?
    Actually, I had a no-name Android tablet that did get very hot. I gave it away.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast