Like Tree14Likes

Amazon's E-Ink Kindle Sales May Have Been A Disaster Last Quarter

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    Listed company lying about something that can be checked in the report and accounts? Does not make sense. You've lived in HK too long!
    I didn't say they were lying to their investors.

I simply caution about reading too much into their vaguely-worded press releases, because a) they have a vested interest in promoting ebooks since they are not just a retailer of books but a manufacturer of ebook readers; and b) it is a rapacious company run by unethical hedge-fund characters, and experience tells us how far we can trust these kinds of people.

I sell both ebooks and paperbacks through Amazon, and currently paper editions outsell e-editions by 4 to 1. Other publishers report the same sort of balance.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger
    I didn't say they were lying to their investors.

I simply caution about reading too much into their vaguely-worded press releases, because a) they have a vested interest in promoting ebooks since they are not just a retailer of books but a manufacturer of ebook readers; and b) it is a rapacious company run by unethical hedge-fund characters, and experience tells us how far we can trust these kinds of people.

I sell both ebooks and paperbacks through Amazon, and currently paper editions outsell e-editions by 4 to 1. Other publishers report the same sort of balance.
    But I didn't think you sold novels did you? I think novels are what sell well on e-readers, not hiking guides.

But I didn't think you sold novels did you? I think novels are what sell well on e-readers, not hiking guides.
    No, I don't sell novels or any hiking guides, I sell mostly biographies and other non-fiction.

The press release isn't vaguely worded at all. As I mentioned earlier I suspect novels sell far better on ebook format than other types of book. You appear to have a grudge against Amazon and won't face any comeback for your statements here.... Amazon would if they were shown to be lying.

No, I don't sell novels or any hiking guides, I sell mostly biographies and other non-fiction.
    With or without photos? To me that is the difference. I have Lonely Planet guides on my e-reader but hate them because of the layout, pictures and maps that are hard to read; novels (100% text) on the other hand are fine.

(EDIT - I must have confused you with someone else then who wrote a hiking guide ... I thought we had met!)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    The press release isn't vaguely worded at all. As I mentioned earlier I suspect novels sell far better on ebook format than other types of book. You appear to have a grudge against Amazon and won't face any comeback for your statements here.... Amazon would if they were shown to be lying.
    No, I've put my cards on the table by explaining that I sell through Amazon. It's going off-topic to go further into my opinions about them, but do the research if you are interested in being anything but a cheerleader... the Seattle Times recently ran an interesting series of articles about the unethical practices of the company.

With or without photos? To me that is the difference. I have Lonely Planet guides on my e-reader but hate them because of the layout, pictures and maps that are hard to read; novels (100% text) on the other hand are fine.

(EDIT - I must have confused you with someone else then who wrote a hiking guide ... I thought we had met!)
    Yes, I did write hiking guides, but I didn't publish them, so I don't sell them.

The books I sell on kindle (and on other e-readers like Kobo, Nook and i-devices) are all text.
    MovingIn07 likes this.

Yes, they have press releases. Why would they lie... er, because they sell the Kindle?
    The have probably looked at a particular segment e.g. trashy novels and highlighted the sales.

Do they really make cash from selling hardware?
    bookblogger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast

I don't know, but the waters are also muddied by so many kindle titles being available for free.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    They don't make any money from selling Kindle or Kindle Fire, in fact they're probably making a small loss on the sales of the latter.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast