Like Tree14Likes

Amazon's E-Ink Kindle Sales May Have Been A Disaster Last Quarter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger
    I don't know, but the waters are also muddied by so many kindle titles being available for free.
    No, it isn't. If you are going to make this accusations at least bother to READ the press releases. From the Boston, linked earlier

The online retailer said that since April 1, it has sold 105 e-books for every 100 printed books, including printed books for which there is no electronic edition. The comparison excludes free e-books, which would tip the scales further if they were included.
    Free e-books specifically excluded.

I'm not interested in starting a feud with you. I'm merely rebutting your earlier statement:

Book sellers everywhere - from Amazon to traditional book stores are reporting ebooks outselling physical books
    which is not true.

You're attempting to rebuut it without any proof though, and material errors like the claim about free ebooks distorting the figures when the figures exclude free ebooks.

No, I have sales data which I mentioned. Meanwhile, you seem to be erring further by extrapolating "Amazon" to mean "bookshops everywhere".

I don't think we're going to get much further with this discussion. I have no axe to grind, no skin in this game... simply posting as a consumer rather than a business partner of Amazon.

From a consumer's standpoint, Amazon is fine. But watch out if it is allowed to become the only game in town, which is its aim (reports about its anti-competitive practices are easy to find). You might say this is normal capitalism at work, but a lot of people have remarked upon Amazon as being unusually vicious in this regard, probably a reflection of its hedge fund origins, and the point I would like to make is that no consumers win from a monopoly.

MovingIn07 likes this.

Agreed that monopolies are bad for the consumer, living in HK we are reminded of this every day.

East_coast likes this.

PDF files

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    Not understanding the concept of reading is a concern.

Perhaps it just needs putting into context for you with parralels between the old world and the new world

Old word New World Used for
    Book Ereader Reading long texts
    Newspaper (Broadsheet) Ereader Reading long articles with charts
    Newspaper (Tabloid) Tablet Reading short articles with pictures
    Magazine Tablet Browsing light content with lots of pictures
    Calculator MS Excel For calculating things
    Typewriter MS Word For writing things
    Overhead projector MS Powerpoint For presenting things
    etc

As you can see an ereader is not a replacement for a tablet computer.
    Can I read a PDF with a Kindle or any e-Reader, if so which one?
    Last edited by br111an; 09-05-2012 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by br111an
    Can I read a PDF with a Kindle?
    Yes you can do that, but be aware of how small the screen is. PDF are better read on a table or a Kindle DX.

Quote Originally Posted by elle
    Yes you can do that, but be aware of how small the screen is. PDF are better read on a table or a Kindle DX.
    Should I sit or stand on the table while doing the reading?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast