The faliure of Firefox?

Closed Thread

The faliure of Firefox?

Ok i been a strong supporter of Firefox since the first beta.
    But im switching to Opera now mainly for the reason that i feel firefox is loosing what i liekd about it at first.
    Since version 1.5.X its become more and more unstable.
    Frequent crashes, opening more than 5 tabs can make it slower than my grandma's motorised cart.
    Not to mention the memoryleaks its been struggeling with of late..probably one of the main reaons it keep crashing.

Now this is what it looks like for me after an hour of surfing with 5-8tabs open in FF.

1. I cant close the tabs, or it takes 1-2min before it will close.
    2. FF is hogging 100+mb ram for displaying even the simplest of websites
    3. it crahses.
    4. Even if it does not crash, when opening FF again i get the recover last session popup.

And the list goes on.
    Its sad to see something like this happening again..makes me think of real player in the old days.
    A solid app that just tried to hard to do too much and failed big time.

So Opera you won me over.. and i love the Speed dial feature!

Anyone else shareing my view on the direction FF is going?
    /J

Sorry for the many spelling and typos errors, a bit hungover today.
    Is there no traditional chinese medecine for this common illness amongst expats? :P
    /J

Firefox 2.x without extensions is actually surprisingly stable and fast.

Also, is your memory problem on a Flash website? Major issues with Flash 9 (garbage collection)... which adobe claims to be working on but has not figured out. They're still geared towards single browser windows within an instance .. and have some problems dealing with multiple websites in one instance of a browser.

How many extensions do you run?

I'm pretty much restricted to LORI, webdeveloper toolbar and firebug.

Oh .. and at 1AM .. you're more likely to be drunk than hungover, unless you had a spectacular Friday night.

Yeah, I, too, have noticed that as Firefox has evolved, and the number of opened tabs and extensions have increased, the browser indeed has gotten alarmingly slow as if it were going to die at any minute! Maybe it is time to think about Opera or Safari again.

KIA: Well i used 2.0 with webdeveloper toolbar and firebug only.
    And yeah totaly hear you on the Flash9 player..dont even wanna get started with that one.

I typically have about 15-25 tabs open and run it on a P3 500Mhz, firefox will take up about 100MB of ram. I have 4 plug ins and it never crashes.

You can reduce how much ram each page uses by using an ad blocker. If I didn't use an ad blocker the badly coded flash ads would make many sites unfeasible for me to visit using this machine.

Last edited by hk.com; 28-10-2007 at 11:22 PM.

Its pretty much erroneous extensions that cause Firefox to have memory issues. Saying that Opera is faster and works better on machines with less memory. Practically though I don't really need a browser faster than Firefox v2 and it has session recover when it crashes.

I currently use Firefox for normal browsing with a few extensions: GooglePreview, BugMeNot, and Adblock to remove really annoying animated adverts. I use Opera for administration: the speed dial page is great for navigating web interfaces for various devices.

using Opera for having the Admin interfaces to "everything" is a good move. Should probably do that myself.