Blackberry or Windows Mobile

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Krypton, I would assume that there is very little bandwidth difference, unless the blackberry devices have some custom compression or protocol enhancements. Would still think its negligible.

Hmm..., still not very clear on how this works. IMAP is simple as it works over standard internet link. Does Blackberry data share bandwidth/usage with normal internet access on the mobile phone?

ltcommander, drop me a line if you want to test an account with us. I've not found a PDA what we can't make work well particularly with IMAP, regardless of model or brand, Sony, Nokia, WindowsCE, Palm, Blackberry.

Even when the PDA does silly things with the authenticatioin mechanism, force SSL, TLS or what ever we have the flexbility to create profiles per account our the system.

krypton,
    blackberry have their own protocol, compressed and pushes many emails regarless whether they are wanted or not. You of course get billed on the uncompressed data. Depending on your package this can cost you a fortune when you are roamiing. We have had customers run up 2,500 pound bills when going to the UK.

Preferably avoid GPRS service GSM operators who are heavy into providing Blackberry service as their bandwidth is constantly being used and transmitting to the phones regarless of whether the email is read, wanted or what ever. They have less spectrum left for browsing.

On IMAP you only download what you need, what you require. YOu have the overhead of having to receive the index of messages when you first connect but it certainly is very efficient and uses little bandwidth.

On IMAP, You have the delay of downloading the email when you open it, but generally that is fast. If you have good phone and your GSM operator is capabele, are you can switch on compression at the GPRS level and get about 4 times the throughput.

I am still using my Treo 650 running Chattermail to access my GMail account. IMAP works very well. Being permanently "online" is wonderful and gives me a feeling of importance (until I realise that it's just a notification that someone has posted another ad on geo selling iphones for 100 dollars) but it kills the battery in a day. Ideal setting for me is every 30 minutes and I get over two days use out of it. Shri, maybe your battery is on its way out.

thanks hk.com

A friend gave me the impression that Blackberry data is always charged at local data rates (and there is no roaming charge for emails). Guess he was wrong.

Last edited by krypton; 13-12-2008 at 05:33 PM.

>> Shri, maybe your battery is on its way out.

Don't think so. Have a feeling it is this particular phone. Given that it is a cheaper / low end palm, I would not be surprised if they've got a lower spec battery on this unit.

Quote Originally Posted by krypton:
    thanks hk.com

A friend gave me the impression that Blackberry data is always charged at local data rates (and there is no roaming charge for emails). Guess he was wrong.
    well if you pay enough you can get a unlimited roadming plan, if the operator provides it. Some don't.

There are two ways users setup Blackberries with us.

Blackberry typically connects to our servers and stays connected and with an IMAP idle command, surprisingly enough. Then they receive everything. Well you can do just the same with other phones without needing the Blackberry BIS network.

The other way is to forward your email. In our case we have a sophisticated email processor for selectively forwarding emails to the blackberry. Say anything that is bigger than 2M does not get forwarded, or if you want to get granular, emails going to [email protected] which you normally get forwarded to your blackberry, if it is a thursday.

I forgot to say... selective forwarding will save your bandwidth in the way that IMAP will when get what you want, not jsut all your email forwarded.

Still I prefer using IMAP on a normal phone. Sometimes I don't need to check my mail online for weeks, some times it is all I can use for days.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3