Like Tree19Likes

3D Printers and Rapid Prototyping?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCatalonia

One quite effective way I've found is to e'mail bomb recalcitrant respondents !

Uh, I'm not sure that I really understood that...

As an aside, the best gadget in this class of thing that I have been looking for was handmade, not 3D printed and not mass produced. It was made by a single enthusiast who poured resin into silicone molds.

They were slow to make (not injection molded) but scalable (i.e. he'd just make more molds) so faster than 3D printing, relatively inexpensive (cheaper than getting a 3D printing company to make) and incredibly good quality.

I'm just not sold on the 3D printing idea still... the guy made this using cardboard, foam, an xacto knife and silicone and it's more effective and flexible than any design I've found on Thingverse.

3D printing is an interesting concept, but I think it's got a loooong way to go before it becomes more than an interesting geek concept for most people.
    Last edited by jgl; 14-01-2014 at 12:32 PM.

preludefan

Have you ever broken a plastic part on something you cant replace? thats one thing 3d printers are good for...

jgl likes this.

And making your own water pistols.

Are you guys all into 3D design?
    I have to admit that I'd probably have to learn that first.

I hope somebody else at our shop knows how to use it ;-) (for replacement parts and engineering samples)

Quote Originally Posted by preludefan
    Have you ever broken a plastic part on something you cant replace? thats one thing 3d printers are good for...
    From what I've seen of current 3D printer output I would agree that the main use of such a machine would be to make functional plastic parts.

The finish, IMHO, is not good enough for ornamental pieces etc. (I'm sure that will improve with time, similar to 2D printer evolution)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4