Like Tree19Likes

3D Printers and Rapid Prototyping?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

3D Printers and Rapid Prototyping?

Anyone in the know about 3D printers or rapid prototyping houses? Or do we have an actual owner of a 3D printer here?

I am looking to make 64 small plastic thingies (ie. cross with 120mm and a few finer details), and I am asking myself if a 3D printer or buying boards of Polyethylene or PMMA (Acrylic Glass) and cutting manually is the way to go.

dear giant likes this.

Can't help but a little story....groan...

Anyway, 6 years ago, or so, I lived in Copenhagen. One day my work to me to a company in the town centre. They were developing this very product, the 3D printer! I think they were developing it for medical and dental applications, anyway it was still an amazing thing back then!!

Even by Danish standards, which are high, there offices were fantastic.....beautiful, minimalist style and the whole space dominated by a games area, table football, arcade games, bean bags, etc. So, I asked what it takes to get a gig there....the guy said the easiest way to get the job, they had decided that at the interview they would ask the question, "If you had this machine, what would be the first thing you would make a 3D copy of?", if they had the balls to say, "my cock", they'd be hired immediately!!

dear giant and bak875 like this.

dear giant and MovingIn07 like this.

Try getting in touch with Makible.

dear giant likes this.

Makible's printer is in final stages and shipping soon. Might want to chat with them.

Guys at Hong Kong Hackerspace have/had a reprap 3D printer. I think they had a makibot or access to one too

dear giant likes this.

dear giant likes this.

Additive manufacturing: Solid print | The Economist
    3D printing: The printed world | The Economist

3D printed parts are still pretty fragile. If the products need to be robust perhaps best to make from solid or a silicone mould
    Last edited by East_coast; 15-06-2012 at 06:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 100LL
    Anyone in the know about 3D printers or rapid prototyping houses? Or do we have an actual owner of a 3D printer here?

I am looking to make 64 small plastic thingies (ie. cross with 120mm and a few finer details), and I am asking myself if a 3D printer or buying boards of Polyethylene or PMMA (Acrylic Glass) and cutting manually is the way to go.
    Try and find a prototype shop across the border
    Let me google that for you e.g. http://www.sunhat.cn/egsjj.htm
    Last edited by East_coast; 15-06-2012 at 06:14 AM.

By the way, completely unrelated, but an interesting link that I coincidentally happened to see within a few mins of reading this thread.

3-D Copying Makes Michelangelos of the Masses - Bloomberg

HowardCoombs likes this.

Let's discuss
    Thanks,
    Sugar Baby (Jim)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast