nVidia graphics cards - help!

Closed Thread

nVidia graphics cards - help!

Hello

I am pulling my hair out on this one.

I have a PC with a Geforce 7600 gs - about 1.5 years old.

I have an output to my TV and there is an option which, if I play a movie on the PC, will output it in full screen on the TV. All fine and dandy.

My sister returned from WCC with a new PC about 5 months ago. It has a Geforce 8400 gs but I can't get it to play the output full screen on the secondary device.

A bit of google searching and I found on nvidia.com that the Geforce 8400 gs does not support this function.

I can't understand why they would not support what to me seems a pretty key function on a more up to date card?

Am I missing something here?

Not all lines are created equal. Just because she has an 8-series card does not make it better or superior than your 7-series. Many consumers have an idea that the bigger the number the better.

The 7900 series of nvidia cards beat out mean 8-series cards, save for the 8800 series. So, even though her card may be newer, it is also a budget card. And also, if she bought a PC from there, they probably skimped out on the functions for cost saving.

They probably charged her the cost of a high end 8-series and gave her the crap budget version, with less features and froo-froos. So, either she get's another card, a proper tv-out card, or she just has to deal with it.

To play the silly numbers game 400 < 600.

It sounds like you are trying dual displays, you can probably get full screen TV out by having the TV active only.

I must admit I am surprised. Just seems a big step backwards. I have been dual screening for a few years and not had this issue.

Ok, will tell her to get another gfx card.

The reason all this has come about is that she has installed a slingbox in the UK but can't get it to be full screen on her TV in HK.

Anyone managed to do this?

The 7xxx and 8xxx I think just refers to the latest and greatest series of cards, within the range they have several models which would be the 600 and 400. Presumably if you look at the 7400gs it will not be able to do the full screen and similarly a 8600gs would. The lower the model number the more basic & therefore more cheaper the card.