Mac Mini Region DVD player

Closed Thread

Mac Mini Region DVD player

Hello

I have turned to the dark side and bought my first Mac - actually as a media center for my mother.

Got it all set up and working - lovely (albeit pricey) piece of kit BUT.....

It won't play DVD's saying they are the wrong region. I know I could install something like VLC but the whole point of this was that my mum would be able to operate it using only front row and the remote control.

She won't get the hang of having to use VLC - believe me we have been there many times.

Is it possible to get around the DVD regioning in Front Row?

You may look here, although as a Geek you are sure to realise your mistake in buying a brand that " protects and serves ". http://www.bioneural.net/2006/11/08/...g-dvd-regions/

Its probably a confirmation of what you know already - Macs are not for little old ladies.

Nah, she is over the moon with it and still has a her DVD player rigged up.

Was originally going to get a media center pc but didn't relish the thought of having to do a monthly rebuild to keep it working!

Pleased the way the Mac has behaved itself perfectly for the last month or so. Just this one glitch that would have been nice to clean up.

I just bought a Mini... encountered the region problem with my first DVD and of course tried VLC, which didn't work. So I'm watching this thread with interest.

Quote Originally Posted by HKNewBi:
    Got it all set up and working - lovely (albeit pricey) piece of kit BUT.....
    What are you comparing the Mini to that you think it's pricey?

Building a windows based Media Center

Just to extend on this thread .
    I have had the same problem today.
    A DVD from a European box set suddenly wouldn't work on either the PC or the laptop.

I found a program called AVS DVD Player. Its freeware from a UK publisher and -- YEAHHHH ---- it works, where WMP , Real Player , Div X, Real Time don't.

Its not perfect and maybe there are some conflicts with somethings I am running, mainly to run concurrent video, but its a fix so post the info. As its freeware I have no complaints.