best broadband company...?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

@PDLM
    I have no idea about the details. Just know that I got the very standard PCCW line and that I can get a 1Gb in about 30 Minutes. That is normal server d/l and not torrent.

I am not sure what µTorrent displays. But I think having a reached about +600K on good days.

I can't talk about other providers, just used PCCW recently (and XXXact and Asiaonline decades ago)

If uTorrent displays 600K then that is equivalent to a line speed of about 6Mbit/s.

Did try it this morning and I managed about 800K displayed in µTorrent.

As said, I only used PCCW the last few years but can say it's OK and no major troubles so far. I don't use any added service (TVNow or whatever.)

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    If uTorrent displays 600K then that is equivalent to a line speed of about 6Mbit/s.

600 kilobytes = 4.6875 megabit

You can do the conversation in Google search engine. Try it
    Google

What is the best broadband company....?

In theory: The answer is of course, the one you are not using.... who's adverts you actually recall...

In practice: The best ISPs are the ones that don't advertise which is why you are doomed to go from one shit ISP to another and why this forum will be full of people complaining and asking the same dumb question over and over....

As you don't see their adverts you will never sign up for them.

Most simplify the decision to it to price and brand.... and a low price is key... which in a way ensures that you do get a shit service.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Market_for_Lemons

The reality is that choosing an optimal ISP is tricky thing and depends on your needs.
    It is something that I get paid loads of money to do for companies...
    Last edited by Fenix2; 14-04-2011 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix2:
    600 kilobytes = 4.6875 megabit
    Indeed, but it takes more than 1 bit of transmitted data to carry 1 bit of information (because of all the packet framing, routing overhead and so on). As a reasonable rule of thumb 10 bits of transmission speed are required for 1 byte of conveyed information (assuming no transmission errors, retries etc). The uTorrent client is measuring bytes of conveyed information.
    Last edited by PDLM; 14-04-2011 at 02:49 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4