HP doesn't recognize English customers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HP doesn't recognize English customers

Its too bad that in Asia's 'world city' with a British heritage and a bilingual government, that a major American computer manufacturer doesn't recognize its English customers.

Tried to buy a new HP desktop only to find out that you couldn't get it with English Vista, only Chinese. Apparently 75% of their desktops are Chinese only! Amazingly poor marketing decision.

Had to get a similar machine from Dell (same chip), paid a few dollars more for the English Vista, but at least I could buy it.

Zen

HP is on my " to never deal with again" lists, ever since our $2500 photo printer died after running its 4th set of colour cartridges ( approx 120 full colour A4 prints ). Not very long life span, especially considering the printer had a very easy life. We replaced it with an Epson, which replacement ink cartridges are 50% cheaper.

HP really go cheap on their printers but hit you hard for refills- by which time it's too late for people to realise the error of their ways.
    I had an HP PDA/phone and it was the first and last thing I'll ever buy from them.

Quote Originally Posted by zenlogo
    Apparently 75% of their desktops are Chinese only! Amazingly poor marketing decision.

Zen
    95% of HK residents are Chinese, so I don't know what you are complaining about.

Try living in Quebec. There is a government imposed quota for French windows.

Quote Originally Posted by chimo
    95% of HK residents are Chinese, so I don't know what you are complaining about.

Try living in Quebec. There is a government imposed quota for French windows.

This is all true.
    If a computer shop can help me with an English edition I am very thankful. I am using my wife's computer right now which is all in Chinese, we are in Hong Kong after all. If you were in your home Country and someone complained about not finding their home language many would tell them if they live there, they should learn the local language, we are not above this living in Hong Kong regardless of the British heritage. We are in Hong Kong the special administrative region of the Peoples Republic of China.
    Last edited by dean-dzai; 22-11-2007 at 06:16 PM. Reason: grammar and spelling

Quote Originally Posted by dean-dzai
    We are in Hong Kong the special administrative region of the Peoples Republic of China.
    And the official languages of the HKSAR are Cantonese and English.

Buy a Mac.

It's entirely their decision. I guess they don't consider the number of people who'd be willing to buy a PC with English Windows to be worth their while. The decision's pretty simple: buy elsewhere. Personally, I'd never buy a computer here since they're usually more expensive in HK than they are in the US.

And you often see the option of getting chinese or any other language for Windows in the US, Uk or else where?
    Didn't think so.
    Anyways i never had any problems getting either language on the HP's i bought, it came by defaultas an option wich to choose at the first installation. I did though only get the chinese re sintallation disk, but a quick visit to the store i bought it from sovled that problem as they gave me an english verison disk right away.

Thanx to all for your input and criticisms. Chimo, I am aware that 95% of people in Hong Kong are Chinese (and I love them). I'm also aware that there are some 1/2 million english speaking buyers, equivalent to many small cities. We are not talking about producing a custom made one-off product from scratch for a minority consumer base. Here we have an big American manufacturer selling a computer with American created software and offering it for sale on their english (HK) website - that isn't available with English? English Vista does exist, it's on their shelf already, we're not talking about recreating the wheel, (they do offer it on a couple of their inferior models) I can go into Fortress and buy a new HP computer but its only available in Chinese Vista, however if I'd like to spend several thousand more they'll sell me an English Vista, too - duh, no thanx. Dell, also packages their machines with Chinese Vista, however, if I want english they reach across the shelf and throw in the English for $300 more... they're happy, I'm happy, - thankfully there's 1 computer company has some brains.

I just registered a .hk domain name for a website I'm planning. At the risk of beating a dead horse re: English computer use in HK, the HKIRC newsletter had some interesting stats: 34% of Hong Kong internet users, use English. And they say there are about 167,000 SME computers alone. Which all just substantiates my original comment that its plain stupid for a major computer seller to ignore the English marketplace. P.S. very happy with my Dell.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast