Linksys Router disconnect issues

Linksys Router disconnect issues

So, bought the linksys WRT54G wireless router to hook up to the PCCW modem.

Worked ok for a few days just browsing. Then things started going wrong after I started torrenting. Connections started dropping every 20-30 min. Stopped torrenting - still same problem.

Went thru the forum, did all the usual things (such as mess around with settings, clone MAC, power cycle etc). No joy. Was about to ditch it and use the original direct connection from the laptop to see if Netvigator was playing up. But, before I started unplugging everything I though I would try a firmware upgrade.

Have V7 of the Linksys route. Went to the Linksys site all ready to upgrade and found that there was version 1 to 8 but no 7 !!. Apparantely v7 uses a diff chipset from all the other versions. Was about go and complain to the shop for selling me v7 instead of v8 but apparantely v7 is for APAC and EMEA. Dunno if v8 is available here.

Anyway's did some more googling and found v7 firmware upgrade tucked away somewhere on the linksys site. Upgraded and all ok now. Been running for days withut any problems.

Link here : http://www-uk.linksys.com/servlet/Sa...#versiondetail

One more thing, if anybody is using the Netvigator direct connection from the PC, make sure the firewall is turned on !! The PPCW techie didn't do that on mine.

i don't really know why or how but i also meet this disconnection problem while using BT with my Linksys WRT54G (v5 i think) on my Macintosh since few days.. well, first time since i moved my flat in fact. cause i had same issues in my old one, but i thought i wouldn't have this annoying disconnections again.. aiya
    (already updated the firmware last month)

So, you're saying that the Linksys router is dropping the PPPoE connection to netvigator if you use BitTorrent?

Are you sure it's the router? Try connecting directly just to be sure. I wouldn't be surprised if the ISP dropped connections on pure torrent streams.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    Are you sure it's the router? Try connecting directly just to be sure. I wouldn't be surprised if the ISP dropped connections on pure torrent streams.
    my internet connection (with BT) is working very fine without using the router... but i need it

Update on this one: I have a Linksys WRT52G2 and I get disconnections every so often too. I've flashed it to the latest firmware already. Regular drops in connection were occurring long before I started blasting away at the torrents! I think Netvigator is just a dodgy service, but (so I've been told) the best of a bad bunch...

Well like i said a good 20times on this forum, linksys = shit
    They never work, always brick and once they do you can just kiss it goodbye throw it and then buy a netgear, or Zyxel or belin or any other brand that actually knows how to build a good router.
    Linksys always brick when it comes to bt..its just a matter of time because their cheap chip sets overheat or what not.

KIA:
    Cant we make a Linksys sticky since there is a question like this at least once a week.

/J

I've used Linksys routes quite happily here for several years. When I have had connection-drop problems it has clearly been due to low standard cabling. It took a lot of hassling from a number of people in my building to get it replaced, but when PCCW did eventually bring fibre into the building everything was instantly hunky-dory.

It is clearly ridiculous to say that Linksys routers never work - they are probably the most widely used brand of domestic router in the world.

Yes they are, but it doesn't make then good in anyway.
    That statement is equally ridiculous.
    Fact is Linksys are well know to brick and break, and has a FF return ratio far higher than any other brand i know of.

But if it works for you then great.

Last edited by JohanSWE; 16-09-2008 at 05:55 PM.