Recommend Computer?

Closed Thread

Recommend Computer?

I am in the market for another home computer. I currently have a Compaq laptop bought five years ago. It has been extremely reliable. Now I am thinking of a second computer. I looked at DELL, but would like input on other local brands such as Lenovo or Acer. Anyone using those or ones I didn't mention? Don't need all the bells and whistles, just a solid unit for Internet and home use, mainly word processing and graphics.

Help!

Neither Lenovo or Acer are local brands... but thats not the issue.

Both of them are pretty reliable. If I were to choose a desktop I'd rank them as follows Dell, Lenovo, Acer.

You might have limited ability locally to get them to install English XP / Vista on your Lenovo / Acer. Check before you buy.

Also, we've had some problems with a couple of low end dells over the last three years... disk died on one and a video card died on the other. Have always prefer to buy the larger tower case machine on the medium end ( the low end is jinxed for me )

Last edited by KnowItAll; 07-12-2007 at 02:05 PM.

I've been very happy with my Dell tower PC at home for the last 3 or 4 years - no problems at all. But I've also had Thinkpad (IBM, now Lenovo) laptops for nearly 10 years now and those have been absolutely solid even given some quite robust treatment when travelling.

So I'd probably do the same again - Dell for a desktop; Lenovo for a laptop (budget permitting)

Having said that, Mrs PDLM has a HP/Compaq laptop bought from Fortress and that's been fine too.

So I'm not sure there's much to choose on these days except spec & price.

Last edited by PDLM; 07-12-2007 at 02:12 PM.

go with Dell..

I would prefer Dell desktop or laptop..they are good IMO.

FYI Lenovo Thinkpad notebook computer Warehouse sales is on this Sat & Sun max. 70% off on selected models starting HK$3900 ea.

Sat, 8th Dec 11am~6pm; Sun 9th Dec noon~5pm, 5/F Lincoln House, Taikoo Place, 979 King's Road, Quarry Bay. General inquiries
    2516-3838

Thanks for all the tips. I will be checking out computers after Christmas. Seems prices always drop after the holidays, and the newer models start coming out. Like I said, the Compaq has served me well, over five years without any problems. As for new operating system, Vista, unless it is English version, I wont buy the computer. Or the store can install it as part of the purchase deal.