Google Maps for Mobile

Closed Thread

Google Maps for Mobile

Google have released Google Maps for Mobile. You just download the free client and using your existing data plan can find and display a location. And like a car's SatNav / GPS unit can show you the way from any starting point to another (without the real-time tracking and voice). I've used it a few times whilst driving and it is brilliant and did I say it's free!

Just to add that v2 of this service also has virtual GPS. This means you can know your location without having a GPS; using the network information. But this service is only available in some countries. Not sure if it works in HK coz I am on UIQ and for now only S60 flavour of symbian is supported.

Yes that feature doesn't work on Palm Treos either. But I am still impressed with the ability to get maps and directions A to B for no more cost than my data package (which I would have to pay anyway for email and browsing).

Not supported by the HK telcos. They seem to be using some sort of cellspotting database and perhaps picking some other info from the towers.

not sure what data is used but even on normal cellphones it seems you can figure out where this feature would work. A nokia (very old model) shows "3" for network name all over HK while when I am in India it shows me the tower I am connected to (the road name often).

Many telcos will provide some extended data / info on the tower you're connected to. They use this data to guesstimate.

Take a look at cellspotting.com