Belkin N52

Belkin N52

Does anyone know where I would be able to get one of these in Hong Kong? I've tried looking through Golden shopping centre in sham shui po, as well as wandering through the computer market just outside the mtr station in wan chai.

I'm suspecting I'll need to get one sent to me from North America, but I thought I'd see if anyone here has any advice first.

Wink Oh, do these "Go Faster" routers really count for anything?

Whilst I'm NOT obsessed with "speed" - after all, not only is one limited by *your* connection with your ISP, but also with the links to the outer world, and I only changed from "b" mode Wi-Fi Router to the somewhat [potentially] faster "g" mode when the Linksys router failed to work - and I happened on a secondhand $200 Buffalo "g" on another expat site.

I'm now using a Belkin b/g -- but that's another story...

Anyway, what could be - potentially - more interesting to me is the a/b/g mode incorporated into a Wi-Fi router.

Months ago, I saw a very few models available in SSPo - but the price was considerably more than the b/g models -- ~$700-$800 as I recall.

That's still about 50% of the price I paid for my first wired-only Linksys - but too expensive to make an a/b/g wireless router "value for money" in my book.

Added to which, our family's two Lenovo T60p's that can handle all three Wi-Fi modes seldom use anything other than "wired" - made me back off "investing" in a tri-mode Wi-Fi router, especially since [as I understand it] if "a" mode is in use, then b/g connections to the router become unavailable - and I have several b/g computers and PC Cards at my home.

I'll hold off till a/b/g router prices fall & then hitch my hub into one of the wired ports to enable my 2 "b" mode Access Points & my 2 FON b/g Access Points in to handle all and any b/g signals around my home.

Why use a mode? its like 10years old, and have limited range etc. is there some hidden bonus in it i missed out on?
    Im kinda eager to hear more about Y-mode, with 5000m range :P not that i need it, i would gain more from N mode with the higher transfer at 245mb compared to 50 for Y-mode, but would be nice to be able to use wifi in the park outside where i live etc.

Exclamation Wireless "Speed" counts for little - sometimes RANGE matters more.

Quote Originally Posted by JohanSWE:
    Why use a mode? its like 10years old, and have limited range etc. is there some hidden bonus in it i missed out on?

<Interjection> Well, "10years old" ?? I rather doubt it is "so long in the tooth" - When I got my first - disastrously short lifed - NON-Wireless Linksys, I had no idea of anything pertainly to a non-wired connection - and my purchase of a $1300 wired router showed that too.

Added to which, I'd been reading many North American computer magz for many years, and I'd have picked up on "a" mode if it had been written about for general public use.

<Finished Interjection>

Im kinda eager to hear more about Y-mode, with 5000m range :P not that i need it, i would gain more from N mode with the higher transfer at 245mb compared to 50 for Y-mode, but would be nice to be able to use wifi in the park outside where i live etc.
    Me, I'm - sort of - interested in "a" mode for two reasons :

1) 'Cos it's "out there"

2) My family's Lenovo T60p computers are able to use a/b/g modes, & "a" is the only mode that we haven't been able to try out for efficacy !

As for computing in your local park, well I suppose you could purchase a "FON" Access Point and connect it to a port on your router & that'll radiate TWO signals (on one channel) - so if you placed it in a window overlooking the park - you might be able to hook up with one or other of the wireless signals -- Or add a "Fontenna" aerial for more directed signal.

The "beauty" of the FON system is - become a user/signal provider, and then you can use the FON signals of other users in various parts of the world - for free.

It seems to be a great idea - but I haven't done any travelling in the last year, so I can't check it out. [Though I have found several "FON" Wi-Fi points whilst travelling around HK (using my Wi-Fi sniffer)].

Certainly a free connection beats a TEN Euro charge for 2 hours of Internet that a Paris hotel would have charged me 18 months ago if I hadn't held their affinity card.

There was a recent report in the SCMP about (I think they were referring to WiMAX) having a range of up to 48 Kilometres !

All well and good I say - but how many watts of UHF-RF energy would have to come out of your Laptop to make a TWO-WAY connection at 48 KMs?

...And, how many minutes would your laptop's battery survive such a "caning" - & how overheated would the Laptop become?

"Smoke Signals" anyone ??