Like Tree5Likes

Hi! Does google maps work in China?? (for android)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Actually the Chinese google maps site works in China. It does have an offset though. I wouldn't use it.

Google??

bdw

Quote Originally Posted by mikisi
    Google Maps can't be accessed in China unless you use an overseas SIM card which can internet roam in China. Or use VPN if you have a China SIM.
    Note that Google Maps has plenty of mistakes in China and very few updates. There is also a huge mistake that the Satellite View is wrongly shifted by a few hundreds of meters!
    And between Shenzhen and Hong Kong the Shenzhen map overlaps Hong Kong.... Big shameful joke for Google Maps
    It is not a mistake. Google maps accessed from a server within China (google.cn) complies with Chinese law (specifically GCJ-02 datum) that allows it to show the sattelite view accurately with no offset. But if you access google maps from a server outside of China (google.com), then google will follow the WGS-84 datum that is used in the rest of the world. This results in an offset of between 100m-700m when viewing China satelite images.

The solution is to use google.cn/maps rather than google.com/maps when viewing China and then there will be no offset

You can also use maps.me app, which allows offline maps, and seem not to give two craps about Chinese mandatory offsets. Some business/shops might not be so accurate/up to date compared to Gmaps, but it really does the trick for main tourist stuff, and usually main common shops and hotels.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw
    It is not a mistake. Google maps accessed from a server within China (google.cn) complies with Chinese law (specifically GCJ-02 datum) that allows it to show the sattelite view accurately with no offset. But if you access google maps from a server outside of China (google.com), then google will follow the WGS-84 datum that is used in the rest of the world. This results in an offset of between 100m-700m when viewing China satelite images.
    I didn't know that. That is very useful information for any guided missile enthusiast.
    bdw likes this.

Can use Baidu--has more detail.

Forget Google maps. Download "maps with me" and download the map for China. No roaming charges. I much prefer it. And generally much better data on hiking paths for some reason!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2