Like Tree5Likes

Hi! Does google maps work in China?? (for android)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Hi! Does google maps work in China?? (for android)

Hi!

I was planning to visit China sometime around December.. I had visited Hong Kong this year in February, great place... now am thinking of visiting China with family...

I needed to know if Google Maps worked in China, preferably Beijing and Shanghai...

I'm not sure if mobile data would be accessible, but I was thinking of downloading the maps for the cities to my android and marking locations I intend to visit... then through mobile data connection and GPS getting the directions as per my requirements of the places...

I have an Android Phone with GPS, but it only uses Google Maps... and I've never been to China before...

so please could someone here provide any info regarding this?

Thanks.
    -Mohit.

Yup, generally works pretty well over there, no sign of any blockage... and the newer versions of gmaps make it pretty easy to download stuff for offline use. You don't want to download the maps while you're there, if you are roaming, but you might want to flip your data on briefly to help your GPS lock.

Yes, no problems but don't expect the extra services and some of the features don't work such as directions.

Careful of the roaming charges though.

thanks for the info!! Now I can map the placemarks on my maps...

Google map gps working in china?

You say no problem, but everyone has reported that in china, there is a mandated offset when using GPS mapping w/any map source. Are you sure that the gps position will match to offline maps?

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    Yes, no problems but don't expect the extra services and some of the features don't work such as directions.

Careful of the roaming charges though.

Quote Originally Posted by lamia1:
    You say no problem, but everyone has reported that in china, there is a mandated offset when using GPS mapping w/any map source. Are you sure that the gps position will match to offline maps?
    don't know. My position comes up OK and I've used it to get directions, and a clunky gps mapping when driving.

Not sure about online, offline you are talking about.

Depends on where you are. Right now, Beijing&Google Maps pretty much suck.
    Here, take a look at this to see what I mean:
    https://maps.google.com/?ll=39.94741...51413&t=m&z=15

Pay special attention to the MTR line and the highway going north south. Now click on "satellite" and you will notice that the real highway is 300-400 meters to the west. The MTR stops are physically along the highway, but on the map, they look like they are further East.
    This will frustrate you a lot if you are trying to use Google to navigate using the actual maps and the points on the map....; satellite views are fine.

Shenzhen has the same problem. the map view is offset from the satellite view. It's very annoying trying to find something.

Yes just had another look and though it was spot on initally it moved over the course of a minute or two to about 100 to 150 m out.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using GeoClicks Mobile

Does not work

Google Maps can't be accessed in China unless you use an overseas SIM card which can internet roam in China. Or use VPN if you have a China SIM.
    Note that Google Maps has plenty of mistakes in China and very few updates. There is also a huge mistake that the Satellite View is wrongly shifted by a few hundreds of meters!
    And between Shenzhen and Hong Kong the Shenzhen map overlaps Hong Kong.... Big shameful joke for Google Maps

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast