Day Trading in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Oops, my bad. Thanks for clarifying that!

I think I'm leaning too much on my anecdotal experience in the States. Overall, HK seems far superior when it comes to connectivity.

Cheers.

Last edited by jahoga; 29-01-2008 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo:
    That's incorrect too. Japan is on the major backbones, Hong Kong has to connect through it. On top of that many ISPs in Hong Kong are too cheap to connect directly to Japan and instead go through Taiwan: hence the big issue with the earthquake previously.
    That's rubbish too. You really shouldn't pontificate like that when you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

The cables that were broken in the sub-sea earthquake in the Straits of Luzon (the stretch of water between Taiwan and the Philippines) were all the main cables going to Japan and thence across the Pacific from Hong Kong and points south. The cables between Hong Kong and Japan go through that route and then up east of Taiwan because of the subsea terrain and because the alternative route up the west coast of Taiwan is far too prone to disruption due to fishing, ships' anchors and so on, and (historically at least) was subject to potential political problems in the event of repair ships needing to get access to the area.

Go here: REACH Global Services Limited and click on "Network/Coverage" to educate yourself about where submarine cables run.
    Last edited by PDLM; 29-01-2008 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    That's rubbish too.
    The news reporting conveys opposite information, and you haven't provided evidence to the contrary.

Mapping Strategy details that all the links to Taiwan were severed but only some of the cables through to Hong Kong may have been effected.

This means that if a Hong Kong ISP routed through Taiwan then 100% they would have no connectivity. If they physically connected to Japan they might not have been disconnected. There is a reference to a ZDnet article stating "two of seven" cables were disrupted".

I'm too busy at the moment to give you a crash course in submarine networks, but start here: OFTA, Office of the Telecommunications Authority, Hong Kong
    and with slides 2 & 3 here: http://www.ofta.gov.hk/en/speech-pre...20070208_1.pdf

So the actual number was 6/7 cables broken. I stand corrected.

Interestingly though Asia Netcom re-routed some traffic successfully within 12 hours of the disaster. The entire presentation linked is about HK Telcos lack of backup plans and redundant connections though.

The solution for China in this case is the new direct link to the US, and presumably HK ISPs will try to set up backup links up through Shanghai.

Pccw

Wow.. this thread has completely derailed from my original question but thanks fellas.. Ha

We're good at that, and getting better all the time!