Day Trading in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Day Trading in HK

Hello, I will be moving to HK and trading the US markets at night while I"m there. I was curious if anyone on this forum has done this and how the speed of the connection is ? I know I need to obtain the fastest connection because it will be internet based and not running through a server. So, are there different types of internet providers/services/speeds in HK ? Are they all offered in all areas of HK ?

Hong Kong is over 10,000 miles away from NYC, take a guess.

I always hear that PCCW international is better than HKBN.

i use PCCW and i do my US trading @night with no problems.

Smile

Hello HKNewbie7007,

I have to agree with everyone. PCCW is probably your best bet. More over, they owned the backbone (Kind of like AT&T) so they should be available anywhere in HK.

Good luck and welcome to HK.

Actually, HK has some of the fastest broadband connections in the world... quite possibly faster than what you'd get in NYC.

PCCW is the best. I'm not sure if they offer any sort of guaranteed speed or availability, but you might register as a small business and see what packages they can offer you if that's a concern.

Best of luck!

Office Space in HK for Trading

Thank you everyone for giving their advice. I'll be sure to use PCCW once I arrive there. I wanted to also ask if anyone is currently taking up any small office space in HK that has proper connections to trade the overseas markets ? Possibly with extra space to support a few traders ? Where we could work out an office sharing arrangement ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jahoga:
    Actually, HK has some of the fastest broadband connections in the world... quite possibly faster than what you'd get in NYC.
    Not one for physics I see.

Speed of light.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo:
    Not one for physics I see.

Speed of light.
    Thanks for that.

The fact remains that Hong Kong sits on one of the world's backbone lines, while the 'high-speed' Internet in the United States lags behind Europe and Asia.

Fastest (i.e. "biggest pipes") lines yes, but even those fast lines will give you about 180ms lag between HK and the West Coast.

Then factor in US based peering arrangements.

So, even with a antiquated infrastructure as you imply ... NYC to NYC response (with the appropriate providers) times cannot be beat by the biggest pipes out of HK.

Quote Originally Posted by jahoga:
    The fact remains that Hong Kong sits on one of the world's backbone lines
    That's incorrect too. Japan is on the major backbones, Hong Kong has to connect through it. On top of that many ISPs in Hong Kong are too cheap to connect directly to Japan and instead go through Taiwan: hence the big issue with the earthquake previously.

(edit) You can say its an important part of the South East Asia minor loop, many of the less developed countries route through PCCW. Similarly a lot of China traffic flows through here, but thankfully that will change sometime with Verizon's new link.
    Last edited by MrMoo; 28-01-2008 at 07:41 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast